Whose the manic guppy killer? Crime solving!

ctsniper86

I have a tank 1.22x50x37cm and I started with a few guppies in it, I have since added over time, an angel, 4 tiger barbs, a small convict, 5 tetra's, 2 bronze cory's, 2 khuli loaches, 3 honey dwarf gourami, 2 blue gourami, an algae eater, 5 leopard danios, black ghost knife, common plec and a silver shark.

Tank was fine for 3 weeks or so and then my guppies started to be murdered by something, everyday at lunch, I'd come home from work at lunch and fine a couple of dead guppies sitting on the bottom of the tank.

I can't figure out who's the manic guppy killer, the angel goes into hunting mode at night and sifts around under the surface watching the fish on the surface once the lights go off, but he's always done that and he never killed anything before.

The black ghost knife is only small about 10cm long.

As for the convict i'm trying to get rid of him but he just seems to chase everything around.

Who do you think is the manic guppy killer?

Yup.. thats a rough neighbourhood for a guppy 8)

Not sure who is taking them out, if it was the knife fish it would have been a stealth attack at night and there would be no evidence left :wink:

But the angel, algae eater, convict and tiger barbs are all prime suspects :o

The danios are probably next on the hit list as the other fish get bigger.

Cheers

Ian

we were given a algae eater a while ago was put in our guppy tank.. it seemed to be going good in the tank and than next thing i knew i had guppy after guppy disappearing i had a total of 15 guppy go missing in the space of a month.

than one night my Partner was looking at the tank and saw the algae eater eating my favorite guppy!!!:o

so the next day we gave the algae eater to a friend of ours!! since its been gone all my guppies are fine!!!

I reckon it would be one of the gouramis. I tried a couple of gouramis in my tank with my guppies and after a few days the death count began to rise.

I've had all those other combinations in with my guppies aswel, none have caused any problems. But then again, it's all dependant on the individual fish. It may work for some people but not for others etc

I have a feeling it the algae eater, i did see him munchin down on one of the dead guppies but wasn't sure if he did the killing or was having a free snack.

the convict is the bully of the tank, everything else is really cruisy together.

the angel is about 2ish inches long and 4ish inches from top to bottom.

about 14 guppies, then a male and female tiger barb that chased each other round and the neons, the pleco and the angel and two more barbs and the dward gourami, the bronze cory and the khuli loach and the convict, the danios and the blue gourami and the black ghost, the silver shark and the algae eater.

anything i've missed?

each set was added about two weeks after the one before.