whitebait on the North Shore

owen

I found a spot where there are whitebait that are easy to catch, just a few minutes from the harbour bridge on Aucklands north shore.

Unfortunately for me my scoop net has holes that are big enough for the little buggers to swim through and I gave up after catching only nine :(

They are now in my goldfish pond with two fantails, a blackmore and a pair of paradise fish.

They are giving fatso the fantail some much needed exercise although Im sure she will quit chasing them soon as they are about 1000 times faster than she is.

Anyway... Im not going to post the location on here for everone and their dogs to see.

If you are interested in knowing the spot you will have to pm me.

jeez i hope they dont have whitespot, Id have no chance of catching them to quarantine them now.

As for catching more.. Id need a new net as by holes i ment mesh size.

And anyway I dont know of any decent streams on the shore.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the North Shore and found the best way to find streams with whitebait is to look for adults congregating to spawn. It's surprising how hardy some are and have found them in dodgey industrial areas and at first glance nothing could survive. Posted a bit of video I took of whitebait waiting at a culvert for the tide to come in so they could get under the road and of adults waiting to go up a relatively insignificant side stream to spawn. I'm surprised the Kingfishers weren't having a field day. Auckland Harbour Bridge is behind me. Hope the link works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPV3F2N-ak

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
actually read an account of where some university students or similar did surveys of stream life and health on the northshore and they discovered a population of giant kokopu alive and well,this was only two years or so back.

i did a survey on a piece of land with Native fish society - rosedale road - predevelopment in 2000 and found giant kokupu and crans bullies- according to the council no signifigant fish there...bulll dozed now- council approves council gets rates..resource management act my a-se

I have seen a few giant kokopu in Le Roys bush.

btw is this a banded kokopu or a young giant?? It was about 14-15cm long. There are quite a few of them in the creek at the bottom of my section.

P9240296.jpg

this is what the stream looked like a few years ago. its amazing how fast native fish can repopulate a stream if the conditions are right.

P5140288.jpg

Hi Owen

This is where the video I posted earlier came from, end of Le Roy Stream in Little Shoal Bay. I had a few looks through there, infested with mosquito fish in the swampy areas. That red stuff in the stream few years back came from excavations when they put in the big block of apartments up the top there in Hinemoa Street.

Mike

Hi Owen,

I would guess they are young giants. Mainly due to the markings being well defined and the sort of dorsal-frontal spottiness. I would expect a banded of that size to be a bit more subtle in the markings.

LUCKY YOU having fish like this at the bottom of the garden! :)

Hi Owen,

I would guess they are young giants. Mainly due to the markings being well defined and the sort of dorsal-frontal spottiness. I would expect a banded of that size to be a bit more subtle in the markings.

LUCKY YOU having fish like this at the bottom of the garden! :)

they are not giants- stripes on giants are not as regular and do not come onto dorsal surface. also giants that size do not school together typically.