Mosquito Larvae

jolliolli

I bought some frozen mosquito larvae today to feed to my discus as an alternative to bloodworms. They really seemed to love them so i was wondering if the nutritional content of these would be higher than frozen bloodworms. Should i feed these only as treat or can i feed them more regularly?

Also i live next to a reserve which has pools with mosquito larvae, i was thinking about catching a hole lot, however i'm not sure how safe this would be with parasites, bacteria etc? One thought i had was to freeze ice cubes full of mosquito larvae, would this take care of the risk of bacteria/parasites?

went out to the reserve today but wasn't too keen on the look of the water, looked liked there had been some sort of oil contamination. Came home and was weeding the garden when i noticed i had a bucket full of water next to the house over winter. Had a look in and scooped out probably a hundred larvae or so. the discus loved them! i've never seen my red melon so excited about food. Should i keep them as a treat or can they be a regular food?

The puddles I got my larvae from had an oily coating but were just puddles in the middle of a road leading to the river :wink: . I figured it was car oil.

Usually though I breed my own in containers in the back yard.

Another live food is those annoying gnats that fly around in large groups at dusk. Get out with a butterfly net (I think they have 'em in the $2 Shop)

How to not fill your tank with miscellaneous crud while feeding live food:

I have a really fine cup-shaped wire strainer thing for a small coffee whatsit (great description, huh? Not a coffee person) seen them at The Warehouse.

Whenever I get live food I tip them into the strainer, then rinse to get the mucky water out, then tip into the tank.

If there are a lot of 'floaties' I submerge it in another container of water to let the floaties float away keeping my bugs at the bottom.

If there are lots of 'sinkies' I hang the strainer in the tank and let the bugs swim out leaving the sinkies behinds.

Doesn't pay to do this in advance. I murdered thousands of daphnia a few weeks ago :( Do it right before you add them to the tank and be gentle. Have the strainer in a container of water so they aren't all shoved against the wire when you rinse them.