ID Please

smidey

Another thing to think about to with buying peacocks from stores... The one thing that bothers me with buying peacocks from lfs is the fact that you can never also be 100% sure that the shop workers place the same species peacocks in the same tank or have labelling right on tanks either, I would be really worried buying a peacock female as something when there could be a worry of lfs workers mixing peacock species (of which has been done plenty of times in the past) I prefer to order species in and pick them up the morning they arrive from suppliers and cart them home in the bags they arrive in.. Some more pics of your male would be good as he matures :D

i bought a pair of al baenschi that were supposed to be a male & female. they have both remained dark with no colour. i bought this male thinking it was a baenschi cause it looks like the pic (in the tank it is quite yellow & starting to show a blue jaw, pic not the best above) on the cichlid forum. the store got this one & others from a private supplier but forgot the list of what they were so they cant tell me at this stage.

maybe it was a stupid move on my part but gotta learn somehow i guess, i wanted to get it because i needed it (its about 3" so bigger than others available) & didn't want anyone else to nab it. :oops:

It is very hard to accurately Id peacocks especially if you didn't get a hint when you picked up the male.. If I was you I would advertise on here (or hopefully someone reading this will help you out) I know some people got numbers of pairs of these and would have spare males that were at least imported as baenshi.

And as african said most shops get a shipment and go whats that... Hmm a peacock oh yeah sweet we'll stick it in our peacock tank.. And then you come along wanting a female from their peacock tank and who knows what your getting..

Good luck mate and how big is this fish supposed to be? You said its about 3" bigger than your females so it would be 5-6"? Seems pretty big to have no colour..

Hey Smidey

Below is shot of my maturing Baenschi. He's about 6-7cm and would be more coloured up if he wasn't in the same tank as some more mature peacocks, particularly the 'Rubenscens'(other shot). Tank mates will definitely determine how soon and how well some peacocks colour up.

The female- there is nothing about the photo that would have me discount her as a Baenschi. Mine are a darkish warm grey with the smallest hint of yellow hue in the fins. However as the others have suggested females are a minefield.

baenschi2.jpg

rubens.jpg

Hi firenzenz

The pic you have posted is virtually indentical to my fish. the pic I posted isn't the best. The reason i am asking, i purchased the fish before a name was available based on the pics of baenschi on the cichlid forum. To me (with very limited experience of peacocks) it is a baenschi. the previous owner has said it may (i have not personally spoken to him) be a jocobfryberg (i will try to confirm this with him)but i cannot find a pic listed as freiberg that matches. Again the pic i posted is poor quality but looking at the fish in the tank compared to pics on forums it is so close to baenschi i cannot spot any difference. I guess only time will tell in the fact of when it fully colours then all will be revealed but it is prodominently yellow coming through. I ideally want a baenschi male, i am going to accept that the females are baenschi as thats what they were labelled as. If the male turns out not to be baenschi well i will keep looking & may stumble accross some females that match him.

Hey!- for what its worth I think its a Baenschi too. Here's my Jacob at a similar age- Body shape is different as is Dorsal and anal fin, even colouration.

jacob1.jpg

the 'jacobs' that came in a few months ago while not named specifically seem to be most likely the 'lemon Jake' variety . the females are a lot lighter, more silvery and significantly more coloured in the finnage than the Baenschi. I keep them in the same tank as the Baenschi females as are easy to tell apart.

Just to add to discussion here is a young Maleri red male- his female is virtually identical to the Rubens- not surprising as one is a line bred version of the other

Maleri2.jpg

Awesome pics I cant see how you do it..

Good luck Smidey, I hope it does work out for you, how big is the male? I have been in the same place as you a few times too when I used to live in Auckland and was always looking for males for fish. I brought a few trying to match them up and in the end ended up getting rid of them and getting descent ones from breeders or sometimes starting again to ensure I was breeding the right thing.. There was always the thought that maybe it was a different male colouring differently or a hybrid that threw that way and if I sell them and they turn out to be randoms ill feel bad and create more hybrids.

If the guy (Richard) you brought them off can assure you the seller is good with his fish etc then cant you get him to get in touch (or talk to him next time he's in the shop) to ask him what the fish is supposed to be and then its all good :)

Hi

This is NOT an Aulunocara baenschi.

How do I know; because I sold them to Richard.

I purchased my breeding group a couple of years ago from brooklands as Aulonocara jacobfreibergi

In Richards defence he did try to get hold of me but lost cell phone reception when heading back from a job in Wellsford :)

I sold two pairs, so hopefully they weren't mixed in with any other peacocks :o

Hi

In Richards defence he did try to get hold of me but lost cell phone reception when heading back from a job in Wellsford :)

I sold two pairs, so hopefully they weren't mixed in with any other peacocks :o

Hi Tropheus, I dont want to sound like im blaming anyone or complaining about richards service or anything like that at all. He is a good guy to deal with. I purchased it with my own info before he contacted you. :)

This is NOT an Aulunocara baenschi.

How do I know; because I sold them to Richard.

I purchased my breeding group a couple of years ago from brooklands as Aulonocara jacobfreibergi

I really dont mind what it is, just want to make sure for the possible future sale of fry i know what they are. In this case i now need a jacobfreiberg female (dam shame, i now need to spend more $ on my favourite hobby :lol: )

Do you have any others? Can you please post a pic of them?

i didnt think you were "pissed" :)

i actually think that the rest are still there but the males accidentally went into one tank & the females in the community.

I think their intention was to sell them as pairs but cause i paid $50 each for two females when they were supposed to be a male/female pair Jess said i could get just the one. Can you post a pic of them fully coloured? I think i just need to get my own head around the fact that they look so much like a baenschi (more than a freiberg IMO from what i have seen) so i can settle my own curiousity. I have seen so many pics that tell me there are baenschi & even your females are identical to the the labelled baenschi i bought previously :oops:

Will try to get a pic of the male. The female passed away last year.

I have some Aulunocara Baenschi as well but are totally different compared to the A. Jacobs. My A.Baenschi male is yellow all over with a little blue across the face. Not the same looking A.B as the recent import and pics listed on site. Got him about 5-6 years ago from Brooklands.

Will try to get a pic of the male. The female passed away last year.

I have some Aulunocara Baenschi as well but are totally different compared to the A. Jacobs. My A.Baenschi male is yellow all over with a little blue across the face. Not the same looking A.B as the recent import and pics listed on site. Got him about 5-6 years ago from Brooklands.

could they have been mislabelled 5-6 years ago?

Awesome :) Make sure if you do get a jacob female for our male you get one that came in the same time as your male, the latest lot maybe a different strain (even though we dont get them imported with strains or variants)

If Mike sold that fish to the shop you can guarantee its pure because he has some of the best africans in nz and breeds in species tanks with peacocks. :)

Awesome :) Make sure if you do get a jacob female for our male you get one that came in the same time as your male, the latest lot maybe a different strain (even though we dont get them imported with strains or variants

what are the odds of that? :o

If Mike sold that fish to the shop you can guarantee its pure because he has some of the best africans in nz and breeds in species tanks with peacocks. :)

so then maybe i insulted him by asking if they were labelled incorectly when he got them? :oops:

Mike said he got them a few years ago, although they would have come in with no varient listed, they will most likely colour differently to the ones that came in recently. I mean who's to say that the importer brought the fish from the same exporter, or the exporter got there fish from the same supplier with the same line every export for the last few years? Some of them could have come from different locations or different fish that colour differently..

It has happened recently with kadango's and lithobates, one lot of kadango's and litho's (although they had no listed variant) were a splitting image of one.. And the later lot seem to have a larger blaze and colour differently, if you were to get a male from the early lot and a female from the later lot although you wouldn't be producing hybrids because they are the same species its not a good practice..

Dont think Mike would be offended he's just to the point.

Sorry to dissappoint but no i didnt get them mixed up and I know what they are.

My A.Baenschi are diff from the latest import as well. My males are totally bright yellow all over the body with a blue chin. slight blue spots on the tail but otherwise sold yellow. Came thru brooklands as Baenschi about 6 years ago.