Guppys breeding i know nothing!

jhct

Hi

In my community tank i had two male guppys, i have added two female guppys. Am i correct in thinking they will breed, if they do how can i know when fry are around? Will I see them? What then catch them and cage them? Or is there some kind of sign that the mother is going to give birth and then I do something before she give birth? or because they are in a community tank will none of the above happen at all???

Basically i dont know anything lol. :o

Guppies need a sex ratio of 1 male to every 2 or 3 females or they will harass the females to death.

Female guppies are pretty much almost permanently pregnant and can drop new fry every 4 - 6 weeks.

Nothing needs to be done except have a well planted tank with lots of fine floating plant for the fry to hide in.

In a community tank the majority will be eaten anyway - which is good or you would very quickly be overrun with guppies :roll:

Or is there some kind of sign that the mother is going to give birth and then I do something before she give birth?

Assuming you want a heap of baby guppys...

The female will start to look like a fat grape with fins before she drops the fry. You can catch her and place her in a breeding net with some floating plants or java moss and wait for the fry to drop. Then grab her out before she eats them all. (the moss helps cos the fry can hide in it.)

Then just feed the fry on fine ground flake food for a few weeks till they are big enough to not be eaten in the main tank.

No big secret to getting guppys to breed, getting the STOP is harder :lol:

Cheers

Ian