Rock pool tank, easy as it sounds?

ctsniper86

Yeah.. basically.

You still need to do water changes like normal, with sea water. Top ups with fresh water. You also need to watch how warm the tank gets in summer, but rock pool species are pretty hardy.

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Dont get any of those red rock crabs - well unless you only want one big red crab in your tank :o Dont ask how I know this :wink:

Yes i once had one, cheap as cos the stuff is all free and it looked pretty cool. Although it got a bit messy after perhaps a year or so cos I should have invested in a skimmer but didn't. I think you can do one easily and cheaply, but if you want to go all the way you spend more money and get good equipment, same as a tropical tank, and the tank will be even better.

Great excuse to take the family rock pooling, my kids loved it, and had their own little pets in the tank that they had caught themselves.

• 1 month later...

Just been to Lady Elliott Island (snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef) and learnt that sea slugs are good filters. They suck in the dirty sand and then poop out the clean sand. They are from the same family as sea stars (starfish) and sea urchins. Dunno how they do in tanks but if someone wants to give it a go...

• 4 weeks later...