Is this Nyassae?

MarkLB

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if Nyasse is being used now as a general classification of a peacock whos history is 100% accounted for. Anyway that was my take on its use, as I've seen a few different coloured Nyasse, and if you google for images you might find two that look the same. Maybe we could lob into that classification things like "blue fusions( are these Dragons bloods), red peacocks etc. Nothing wrong with a Hybrid peacock, thet are as cool as any-as long as it isn't given a 'real' name for the sake of it, for convenience or to bolster its value.

Thats my thought exactly I wonder if everything used to be called

Al. nayassae baenshi for exanple and then then decided to stick baenshi as its own species... Which maybe why they're the only allowed fish but we get all these others coming through.. Who knows I juts wish the powers that be had left it as Al. sp on the import list!

I to have no problems with line bred hybrid peacocks, provided they are named and identified and imported and breed true.

I should mention that I am against hybrids random ones that are created in tanks and then matched up roughly against a random pic off the net that most likely has the wrong name under it and sold on trademe..

Good point Ryan

Lake Malawi was called Lake Nyassa for over a hundred years before they opted to go with Malawi when that country was formed in the sixties( used to be nyassaland), so was probably a generic term for peacocks not just a specific fish as your link to Cichlid forum showed. Even though outdated as Frenchy said the term seems to have become a handy all encompassing option.

I note CF only had an image of wild specimen of that fish - not a heap of colour variants being discussed here.

Good lesson there I had no idea it used to be called Nyassa.. Guess it does make sense that they named all peacocks as such, as you said it works out well for us given the range of peacocks coming into NZ :)

Does anyone have any idea what any of the new ones look like? Blue fusion etc? I doubt ill see them unless I see a pic on here our local doesn't get new africans in..