tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

tHEcONCH

Fish unit, I would be interested to see how this goes in a RSM, so in the interest of science :lol: , I could give you a small BTA. The only thing being I am not confident to send it to Wellington in the post every time I have tried this in the past it has been a disaster.

Just wondered if you or anyone reading this would have a way to personally transport one we could do it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey wasp im sure we could work something out Ill see If we can find someone or if not I know tht when we get fish sent down you can drop them off late at night and i pick them up in the morning or if your close to the airport can be down here in about an hour,Anyway give me a pm and well work something out.Thanks, Dave :)

Fish unit, I would be interested to see how this goes in a RSM, so in the interest of science :lol: , I could give you a small BTA. The only thing being I am not confident to send it to Wellington in the post every time I have tried this in the past it has been a disaster.

Just wondered if you or anyone reading this would have a way to personally transport one we could do it.

If this isn't super urgent I can probably do it next time I visit our Auckland and Wellington branches - if someone could meet me at the airport at each end I'd be happy to carry it.

Thanks for that, Fish unit & I have pm'ed, still not quite sure how to get it there. But first I have to cut my own anemone in half and then it will take up to 3 weeks to heal till it's ready to be moved. When the time comes I'll post up what's happening & see if anyone can help. When is your trip TheConch?

Its not set in stone - but I need to go back to the AK and WG a couple of times over the next couple of months, so there will be some flexibility but I'm guessing the next trip will be a month or so out. I generally go to one in the morning, and the other in the afternoon, so it will mean picking up at one end around 12, and dropping off at the other around 1pm.

OK well I've cut it, just have to see how fast it heals. Fish-unit if you can let me know a day or two before your sister comes & i'll see if it's ready although probably not, we may have to go with theConch.

EDIT - I got your pm Fish-unit & have replied.

Well that kinda solves it! You going to have all those RSM user rushing out to get an anemone Electric Head! :lol: . And hey, welcome to the forum! :D

I just looked in my tank and found a tiny bit of anemone floating around I must have somehow cut off, it's chances are slim but I've put it in a jar just to give it a shot, here it is

ac.jpg

BTW Electric Head, you better fill us all in with your advice on how to do anemones in a RSM, you obviously have a good result :D .

Can't do a pic cos I'm out of town today (i'm in a cafe in Pirongia), but here is a pic from a while back, it is the same anemone, or one of it's "parents". if you look carefully you can see the clownfish eggs on the rock, the orange little bit just in front & below the clowns face.

This is not the prettiest anemone it's just basic brown but it's a good hardy anemone survived all the abuse i've subjected it to over the years.

ceggs1.jpg

Yes lots of fry, trying to raise them is hard though. The only time I came close to succeeding was when I syphoned some fry into an ice cream container which I floated in the tank. I fed them on a liquid fry preparation for fresh water fish, and some of them lived for about a week and at least doubled in size. Then one day they were all dead i think the water fouled despite being changed several times a day. The normal way to raise clown fry is by feeding them live rotifers which have to be cultured, but the whole thing is beyond the time and skill that i have to do it.

The clownfish pair in the pic lay a new brood of eggs every 3ish weeks, and each time there is several 100's of eggs, if not thousands but i don't know. As these fish live quite a few years it means that over the course of their lives a pair will lay hundreds of thousands, if not millions of eggs. The thing is that to maintain a wild clownfish population at the same level only requires 2 of all those to survive to mature adulthood. Increadible really the wastage, although in the harsh reality of nature I guess the ones that don't make it are not really waste, they are food for other creatures.