tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

tHEcONCH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've introduced live Mysis shrimp, plus a few other creepy-crawlies have come in on corals that have established a population:D

where did you get your live mysis shrimp from? i'd like to add some to my marine tank. I also wondered about adding some to my discus tank as an alternative food source, any ideas whether this would be ok?

It began to die off after about a week, but I just picked most of it off with my fingers to speed the process along a bit - and I didn't want dying algae to re-release phosphates back into the water. Snails took care of the rest, although there is still quite a bit on the back of the tank. I'm not too worried by it - it gives all the critters something to graze on.

So... would a Red Sea Max be a good environment for an Anemone? There are no exposed pump instakes to shred them, but what else would they need to do well? How hard / easy are they to keep by comparison to the other corals I've got i my tank? So far the biggest problem I have had is corals getting too big and having to sell them back to the shop. Any ideas on how to retard their growth a bit without making them look aweful?

Best bet would be a small bubbletip anemone but a few things to be aware of. Your lighting is at the lower end of the scale it is borderline for even a bubbletip, but it might be enough it would be interesting to find out, both for you, plus other RSM users for the future.

If anemones are light starved they get paler and paler, eventually becoming white, then dying. So start with a good dark coloured one whatever you do don't buy a pale or white one as they need to go to a more highly lit tank to recover.

The other issue is that when you first put a bubbletip anemone in, they tend to move around till they find a suitable spot. Problem here is your tank is quite full and the anemone will sting things as it moves around, and in turn will get stung by some things. There will be a degree of luck as to wether it settles in safely or not.

Other clown hosting anemones get too big for your tank, they would expand till they filled the whole tank.

I'd say get the smallest bubbletip you can find, but a darkly coloured one. Some bubbletips for sale are small because of stress etc from shipping but this will be given away by a pale colour. You want one that is genuinely small, so look for a rich dark colour.

Even a bubbletip will grow too big for your tank, but they can be chopped in half if need be, which I do to mine every so often to keep the size down.

? So far the biggest problem I have had is corals getting too big and having to sell them back to the shop. Any ideas on how to retard their growth a bit without making them look aweful?

you could alwys sell them to someone who lives near by for reduced prices :D