Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

Featured Replies

  • Author

hahaa, dunno where you got a "768" from, you're clearly looking at the wrong thread I know it was alot more than that so I checked, if you really must know it has just over 44,000 views :D halfway down the page "Sump room, new tank etc" here:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/35-vf5 ... start=1700

a little before your time it seems conch :wink:

768 replies (cf views). Man, what a sad bunch we are!

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 271.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Anyway, to get back to the subject, if I stick a sump on the RSM how much lighting do I need on it? Do I need any at all? I just want to grow pods rather than make an all out refugium - your thoughts?

Seeing that I only ever see my pod activity at night, I wouldn't imagine you'd need much light. Maybe one of those cheap 9W hang on bulbs that just replicate day/night?

  • Author

Yea - or else I thought I might talk to Zhaque about whether or not I could daisy-chain a few more LEDs of the existing circuit so that they are switched by the RSM's timer.

If it's just a sump, no lights are fine. If you are trying to get a refugium going, then you'll need lights if you want algaes to grow.

Well, I have Mandarin eggs. They did their little dance again last night and released a lot of very small eggs... then they both went back to the rockwork for a cigarette.

lol!

Here is some light reading and pics and video to drool over...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... genumber=1

The thread is 40 pages long and has been split 'due to performance issues' into another thread which is linked at the last page... hope you don't have too much work you should be doing today?

Well, I've built one, but I can't say that I'm overly enthusiastic about the intake side of things, so I've decided to abandon gravity / water weight power and just use a double peristaltic pump to drive the water in both directions - safe, simple, reliable (expensive).

I don't think that is a good plan. Better to really try & sort some kind of gravity outlet.

But congrats on the manderin eggs. I am sure you have achieved far more with many things in your RSM, than most of us have with our larger tanks.

Any plans for the eggs?

  • Author

I don't think that is a good plan. Better to really try & sort some kind of gravity outlet.

I might just have to drill an overflow of some sort in the back. I'm a little reluctant to do so in case of disaster, but it would solve a few problems.

But congrats on the manderin eggs. I am sure you have achieved far more with many things in your RSM, than most of us have with our larger tanks.

Any plans for the eggs?

I like the IDEA of raising them, but I very much doubt that I will be able to. I simply don't have time to do it properly. I'm actually in the process of reducing the number of tanks / fish I have, so gearing up to raise them doesn't really fit into my 'glorious 5 year plan'. That said, what is the difference between a sump and a fry tank?

Have you considered a weir overflow?

Some people hate them because drilling is better, but if drilling is not an option a weir overflow can be the best next option. You just hang them over the back of the tank and away they go. They are designed so the syphon cannot be broken. IE, if there is a powercut and the return pump stops working, once the level in the main tank drops to the bottom of the weir intake, water stops flowing through it, so you don't get a flood. But the syphon is not broken, once the power comes back on, the water in the main tank rises, and the weir starts up again.

There is some info in this thread

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/hang-o ... 28312.html

  • Author

lol!

Here is some light reading and pics and video to drool over...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... genumber=1

The thread is 40 pages long and has been split 'due to performance issues' into another thread which is linked at the last page... hope you don't have too much work you should be doing today?

Thanks for that!

  • Author
Have you considered a weir overflow?

Some people hate them because drilling is better, but if drilling is not an option a weir overflow can be the best next option. You just hang them over the back of the tank and away they go. They are designed so the syphon cannot be broken. IE, if there is a powercut and the return pump stops working, once the level in the main tank drops to the bottom of the weir intake, water stops flowing through it, so you don't get a flood. But the syphon is not broken, once the power comes back on, the water in the main tank rises, and the weir starts up again.

There is some info in this thread

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/hang-o ... 28312.html

Actually I think that is what I might have built (I just worked from a picture posted on another site) - maybe with a bit more tuning it might be a go-er afterall.

lol!

Here is some light reading and pics and video to drool over...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... genumber=1

The thread is 40 pages long and has been split 'due to performance issues' into another thread which is linked at the last page... hope you don't have too much work you should be doing today?

Ahhh don't read that. It's 80 pages and the author gets banned from RC. In the end he doesn't raise any. Update to his progress is he is still trying to raise them and has had no luck yet. They are extremely difficult to raise.

I like the IDEA of raising them, but I very much doubt that I will be able to. I simply don't have time to do it properly. I'm actually in the process of reducing the number of tanks / fish I have, so gearing up to raise them doesn't really fit into my 'glorious 5 year plan'. That said, what is the difference between a sump and a fry tank?

Sump = Has heater, skimmer, live rock, water throughput

Fry Tank = Water, Heater, Phytoplankton (enough so the tank is tinted green/brown depends on strain), Rotifers (5/ml+ to feed the fry). Airstone for ciculation because this won't damage the fry.

  • Author

It was a semi-rhetorical question. I don't intend to try and breed Mandarins - I'm simply not in a position to do it. Its a shame I can't send you the eggs.

who changed the name of the thread

He only did that so that you can't grizzle about anything being off topic!!

I like the IDEA of raising them, but I very much doubt that I will be able to. I simply don't have time to do it properly. I'm actually in the process of reducing the number of tanks / fish I have, so gearing up to raise them doesn't really fit into my 'glorious 5 year plan'

Just think of all the pairs of shoes you could buy the missus with the money you could make!

is this the longest post every? 57 pages wow...

so wats the happs of the last 57 pages in a nut shell so i dont have to read it again lol, i got lost at page 35-40 sumthng i thnk lol

Not a chance. First fish I breed isn't going to be a Mandarin. Thats like starting out sky diving by jumping out of a space shuttle.

  • Author
is this the longest post every? 57 pages wow...

so wats the happs of the last 57 pages in a nut shell so i dont have to read it again lol, i got lost at page 35-40 sumthng i thnk lol

Executive Summary

pages 1-20

In response to accusations of being a troll, some guy posts a few pictures of his RSM and some discussion ensues

pages 21-33

More pictures and discussion vaguely related to the RSM 'n stuff

pages 34-55

Discussions about RSMs, modifications, Mandarins, frags, and random musings

pages 55-56

Thread has a 'mid-life crisis' prompting a retrospective within the thread on itself by various contributors.

pages 57-

Back to the RSM...

you would need a deep tank to breed mandarins wouldn't you?

Nope?

RSM is fine for their mating dance.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.