Top Posters In This Topic

A few more random pics...

A wierd two mouthed 11 arm Xenia head:

RSM125.jpg

It should only have one mouth and 8 arms like this one:

RSM124.jpg

And the Acan eats shrimp...

RSM126.jpg

And its a bit hard to tell from this photo, but it seems to be growing over the AquaKneadit :D

RSM127.jpg

So what is going on here then? At first I thought it was just a cloud of tiny bubbles, but then I noticed they weren't popping, all the corals opening up and the fish having a feeding frenzy.

Apologies for the cruddy photos, but they were near impossible to photograph close up

RSM202.jpg

RSM201.jpg

RSM204.jpg

RSM205.jpg

RSM203.jpg

Oh Conch, guess what I found last night...

A small clump of purple Zoos wedged into 1 of my nanostreams... looks like the starfish isn't to blame :oops:

Gunna attach em to a rock tonight and pray they survive (they look a bit mangled LOL)

When you frag them (if they're not growing in a sponge which is easy to pull apart) do u just cut them as low as you can to the base and glue them? I wanna try frag some of the orange/green ones struggling to grow in amongst the brown ones I got from u aswel.

When you frag them (if they're not growing in a sponge which is easy to pull apart) do u just cut them as low as you can to the base and glue them? I wanna try frag some of the orange/green ones struggling to grow in amongst the brown ones I got from u aswel.

Just get something (nail file / skewer / tweezers) under a polyp or two and prize them off the rock, then just tear or cut them away from the ones around them. It seems to work best if you can get 3-4 off together. They will spit brown crud all over you - do not be alarmed.

Just get something (nail file / skewer / tweezers) under a polyp or two and prize them off the rock, then just tear or cut them away from the ones around them. It seems to work best if you can get 3-4 off together. They will spit brown crud all over you - do not be alarmed.

Just take a note of this before you start hacking into them...

Zoanthus and Palythoa both contain very toxic chemicals, that are dangerous to both reef inhabitants and humans. The most well known is Palytoxin, which has been documented as one of the most poisonous marine toxins known (Mereish et al, 1991). Palytoxin can affect the heart, muscles, and nerves leaving its victim in paralysis, and possibly death. Because of the toxin, you should never handle Zoanthus or Palythoa with open wounds, nor should you touch your mouth or eyes after handling the species. (Editors’ note: We recommend the use of disposable latex gloves) When propagating either of the species, it is critical to remember that the slightest rub of an itchy eye, or even a small cut from a hang nail, might be enough to land you in the hospital

retrieved from:http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/blane-zoanthids/zoanthids.htm

Cheers Zev, was well aware of that, which kinda makes me wanna lick a zoo just to see what happens ;)

Luckily it can't enter the bloodstream through the skin so providing I dont cut myself between now and when I do it, I should be fine :)