Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

Featured Replies

go into organism ASAP john got in a shipment of lots of fish today and corals they wont last long and dont ask about the sixline wrasse ive already got my name down for it :wink:

all johns marine tanks have fish in them :bounce:

Damn new tank. I could've taken the majority of those fish today if I knew my tank would've kept up haha.

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 271.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hidden, catch a glimpse of their antennae every now and again. The clowns had a big scrap, obviously sorting out who was going to be dominant. Seems to be sorted now. Both seem interested in my octopus coral and have both eaten. All looking good :)

  • Author

Well, in just a couple of days the Angel has knocked the algal growth back, there are no more 'random bits' floating around, and the whole tank seems happier. It must be a kind of balance thing, I guess. :lol:

but wondered how it would go with the mandarin in terms of competition for food.

I was wondering this also. As I noticed our Coral Beauty abolished the pod population in our RSM in approx 1 week. Then it took to the algae.. leaves a nice lawn effect looks pretty cool :D

  • Author

I was wondering this also. As I noticed our Coral Beauty abolished the pod population in our RSM in approx 1 week. Then it took to the algae.. leaves a nice lawn effect looks pretty cool :D

Neither Flame Angel seems to have had a negative effect upon the Mandarins health. The Flame speds a lot of time 'grazing' algae, whereas the Mandarin pokes about the rock - oddly enough, they seem to hand around together - the flame leads the way, and the Mandarin buzzes along behind pic'n and prod'n.

I see John had an RSM setup as you walk in the door. Any ideas what he's got planned for it? Had LR and Water in it :)

  • Author

Yea, he's going to make a 'show' tank with a little bit of everything - I reckon he should just stick that big anemone and a clownfish or two in there.

I want that anemone, but I don't think i've got enough lighting, and tank is a fair way off being "mature" :(

I was quite taken with the flame angel you bought the other day and the anenome! However i went home to an afternoon of aiptasia injecting.... ahh how fun ;)

  • Author
I was quite taken with the flame angel you bought the other day and the anenome! However i went home to an afternoon of aiptasia injecting.... ahh how fun ;)

Yea, not so much fun. I've found boiling water to be a bit useless - its often not hot enough by the time you apply it to completely kill the aiptasia (which regrows from the stump), yet it kills all your coraline algae. Although its difficult to apply sometimes (the needle supplied is too narrow guage) Joes Juice works pretty well first time around. I got an 18 guage needle which draws the solution up better (although the lumps still block it) and found that much better.

Re lights in the RSM, I'm just using standard lights (2 x 55watt T5's - specs here http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/Red_ ... specs.html ), although I'm replacing the tubes every six months (cf the usual nine months) - although I hear rumours of a metal halide conversion kit. I'll just have to see how the Anemone goes - I'm still a bit new to the marine thing, so hopefully it will like where I've put it. It has locked on to the rock and expanded, so that's good I guess.

Let me know how it gets on aswel, if you are successful with it, then maybe I should consider it onces my tank is sorted :)

wow didn't know that about it killing the coraline algae, eeek. i'd heard mixed reports on the joes juice, but maybe i'll give it a go, i hate these damn things :evil:

wow didn't know that about it killing the coraline algae, eeek. i'd heard mixed reports on the joes juice, but maybe i'll give it a go, i hate these damn things :evil:

lol have you seen the display tanks at redwood aquatics

  • Author
wow didn't know that about it killing the coraline algae, eeek. i'd heard mixed reports on the joes juice, but maybe i'll give it a go, i hate these damn things :evil:

I think its probably more or less effective depending upon how you apply it - you need the aiptasia to eat it, not just retract from having a pile dropped all over it. You have to shake the bejeebers out of it to get rid of the lumps - I'll leave an 18 guage needle for you to collect from John's too.

  • Author

So, who out there knows about 'Heteractis malu' Anemones? Any advice on keeping one healthy greatly appreciated...

Good, that way I can't be tempted to buy it when I go shopping again on Saturday!

Looked sooooo mint tho :hail:

Pic pls

  • Author

I'm actually doing a bit of a re-arrange im my tank - I want more movement and to be able to see some corals a bit better - pics coming soon...

So, who out there knows about 'Heteractis malu' Anemones? Any advice on keeping one healthy greatly appreciated...

Me! :D H. Malu is my favourite anemone. However you say it is locked onto the rock? This is not typical behaviour for an H. Malu, they dig their foot into the sand and will not normally go into rock unless there is no option at all. They are often confused with another species, perhaps that is what has happened in this case.

Can you post a pic of it, including from behind? We'll do a positive ID.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.