DIY Hood

ethan44

Ahh I'm building a hood for my tank to hold lights etc. It's for the 2foot tank in my room. The plan for it is to enclose some lighting equipment which I am still to source out.

The main part of it is made out of some MDF my dad had up in his model railway shed, and some other thin wood we had lying around.

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

I am still yet to find what lights too use. I would like something as cheap as possible, but will still be able to let my plants grow. Any suggestions?

The hood is made to fit onto the surrounding I have already made.

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

i was actually thinkin of doin a similair thing, id be keen to see how yours turns out mate, keep us all posted lol,

i had the thought that you could probably get the light fittings from a mitre 10 or similair and then all you would need to do is get the lights from somewhere. and put a peice of acrylic or summin to stop the water seeping in...

do the lights need to be flurescent? Im sorry i know nothing about the light required for fish/plants however i made up my own lights for my killie cupboard (is going to be used for heat instead of light) but the concept still the same. I bought the batons, wireing, bulbs etc for $20 and everything works fine. I can give you more detail on how to get everything working if you think it would be applicable for you application. Alan explained helped me out and showed me how to to it

Just instead of where i have the glass thermostat have an on/off switch

Whatsgoingtoheatcupboard.jpg

Paul

do the lights need to be flurescent?

Flouro lights work best, and basically you will need them to grow plants properly. They produce much more light per watt of energy used, so you can get bright enough light at the right frequencies into the tank without cooking things.

You can use the compact flouro tubes in a normal bayonet fitting as cheap DIY lights. Pick the daylight colour lamps though, better for plants.

If you aren't growing plants the lighing isn't so critical, you just need some so you can see the fish 8)

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for all that. Sorry no more progress yet as I have been at school and at training, it's more of a weekend project as I'm not in a rush to get it done. But I will post more pictured when I make some more progress on it.

About the lighting, would one single long light going the length of the hood or say two single bulbs (like above post) be more efficient. Can you even get fluorescent single bulbs?

What would be the difference between compact flouro tubes and normal flouro tubes?

About the lighting, would one single long light going the length of the hood or say two single bulbs (like above post) be more efficient.

Yes a single /double / triple flouro tube is the best option, depending on how much light you want. That really depends on whether you want to grow plants or just light up your tank so you can see your fish.

The compact flouros aren't as good as a proper flouro tube and reflector, but they are cheap and will work OK.

Cheers

Ian

Yeah.. that size tank a 2x 18w fitting should be about right.

I was in Mitre10 today and they had them for a sensible price ~$30. You might have to shop around for the best lamps. The normal ones are a softer yellow light, better for general room lighting. The higher 'temp' ones give a more blue light closer to natural daylight, better for growing plants. The 'colour temp' is how this is measured.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to working on this a bit more.

DSC01030.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

I screwed it all up to see if it fits together. Now I am planning on taking it apart, glueing it together, and make sure it all fits perfectly. Paint it with water proof undercoat, then final coat after that.

Here's some pictures of it where it'll be going

DSC01035.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

I still haven't decided on what lighting. I went to some lighting shops and Bunnings but most were pretty expensive. Probably looking at two 2' T5's but will continue looking for them somewhere cheaper.

I am also thinking about changing the gravel into something smaller and darker. I am also planning on repainting the inside of the box the tank is in to something darker.

And then have also got to source some plant for the tank, which is the whole purpose for the lighting etc.

Whats the dimensions of the inside area of your hood? Did you want one tube or two tubes?

I'll be able to tell you what to ask for. I go to Advance Electrical, but Mastertrade is just as good.

NB: wiring it up requires electronics knowledge etc, so if you're not confident its a good idea to get help from somebody with more experience. Another option is to just buy a pre-made unit from local pet store to sit inside the hood.

Whats the dimensions of the inside area of your hood?

It measures in at 62cm length wise, and 31cm across. Would prefer 2 bulbs.

I am pretty competent at electronics so should be able to wire it myself (or with some help from my dad)

Thanks for the help.