Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breeding Traps & livebearers

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

I have a pregnant platy (she was pregnant when we bought her so don't know exactly HOW pregnant she is) She appears ready to drop & we can see the wee black eyes in her belly. I'v been out & bought a breeding trap today.

My question is . . . . how long can I leave her in there without stressing her? I have lost all my previous fry to the fish in my tank, & am REALLY keen to have some survive. I'm TOTALLY inexperienced & new to this breeding thing & would appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thanks.

It varies from fish to fish. Some don't seem to mind and others go berserk as soon as you put them in.

If you can see the eyes through the belly she is about to deliver. Don't catch her in a net, move the trap under her and lift it up so she is not taken out of the water at all. Less stress. If you have some Java moss add it to the bottom of the trap as well.

I have had most success with livebearer traps that are big enough to leave the females in almost permanently and that way the female and the fry avoid stress. I used to remove the female and fry a few weeks after the event, and put the female back as soon as she is obviously gravid, but way before giving birth.

:hail: WOW, you guys are the bomb!!!! Thanks for your quick responses and great info. She seems quite calm in the breeder trap so feel confortable leaving her in there for a day or so. Hopefully she'll have her babies soon.

Good question! LOL. . . . I hope to let you know in the next few days. :lol:

Thanks guys, you were a big help. My platy gave birth to 20+ babies last night in the breeder trap. She was in there for two days and wasn't stressed at all, so I now feel comfortable putting another pregnant one in there when her time is close. :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.