RE: Fish clubs

hevalump

Hi There, as a new fishy person i am interested in joining a club possibly to share my enthusiasm and meet people interested in this awesome hobby/lifestyle (Classed as lifestyle cause if something takes us a certain % of your home then its part of your lifestyle).. anyway could anyone fill me in to whether there is a WEST auckland club or if not which would be the closest ... and what actually happens at these meetings... (obviously we dont take our fishy friends along....)

Much appreciated.

If you click on "visit the FNZAS Homepage" at the top of this page, then click on "Clubs" you will get a list of all affiliated clubs in the FNZAS. As a non-Aucklander I have no idea where in Auckland the clubs are in relation to 'west'.

Auckland Fiskeepers meet in the Green Bay community centre

North Shore meet in the Sunnynook community centre

South Auckland meet occasionally for dinner.

What actually happens at meetings varies from club to club but it is a chance to meet like-minded people and perhaps swap fish, plants etc and learn heaps about your fish :D

as a member of an auckland fish keepers club (green bay) and a fellow westie I will briefly describe what we do.

A normal night consists of getting together and discussing our fish - new additions, any troubles etc. Followed off with a cup of coffee. Any relevant issues are also discussed, and you can gain ideas and support from fellow club members.

Twice a year we have a tank crawl where we get the opportunity to visit other peoples fishy friends.

Occasionally we watch a video from the federation video library.

Occasionally guest speakers

Often we give away plant.

Always I enjoy myself, and would think that others do to

I am happy to supply you with the knowledge if you are genuinely interested. Having helped set up a couple of clubs myself I have quite a few ideas.

Am also happy to help with poster design, advertising etc.

• 3 weeks later...

then should us westies get our butts into gear and sort something out, collate west auckland fish keepers details and start organising something!! Any west aucklander interested in having a local club please email me details (ie email address, ph numbers, fish details, anything relevant) or if anyone wants to do the dirty work as in setting up venues, newsletters, [email protected]

the first step i would imagine would be to design a newsletter to post to all interested parties...... has anyone got any suggestions for a logo/icon thingee? By setting up a west auckland club i would not want to "steal" people from other larger clubs, just offer a smaller, more local fish community which people can turn to for help, ideas, swapping fish and plants, just generally offering support and meeting say once a month for group excursions, tank crawls, just the general stuff.... just on a more local scale.

I Totally agree with you about the "stealing" of other people. Have you got much interest so far?What can i do to help? I belong to a couple of other clubs that send out newsletters and am more than willing to help with that side of things

For the logo, how about a fish with a mullet, wearing black jeans and a leather jacket leaning on his MK1 Ford Cortina :lol: Just kidding, I will put some thought into it today, if I can do anything to help let me know.

Cheers,

Matt

i really need to get numbers of possible interested parties, so i can get an idea if there is enough demand for a club, :lol: hmmm...... it would be great if the three of us could sort of be the "guts" to starting it up, i dont know about the logo idea matt..... itd be pretty funny though!!... heh heh heh i might just draw some stuff up and email them to you, and you can email some to me or whatever.... at this stage i am just collating ideas and willing people , so spread the word that its a "work in progress" and muster interest. :)

In a place as large as Auckland I don't think you need to worry about 'stealing' members from other clubs. Actually we have a number of people who belong to more than one club anyway. My own club also has Auckland members :wink:

If you have at least 3 of you keen to give it a go then start from there. If you wait for people to register interest first it might be a long wait. A lot of people don't know about this site (sad but true) so you are only getting a small section from here. I am happy to make up some advertising posters for you (and print them in colour) to put up on local noticeboards, supermarkets, libraries, vets, petshops etc. Decide on a time and place then advertise you are holding a meeting for all people interested in joining a local fish club and see how many turn up.

• 3 years later...
I would be interested in a West Auckland Fish Club as well.

Cheers,

Matt

Same here I live in Massey East and think it would be great to have our own club here in West Auckland.

So I am very interested. I only have 10 tropical fish tanks and an old spa pool full of coldwater fish.

Di

then should us westies get our butts into gear and sort something out, collate west auckland fish keepers details and start organising something!! Any west aucklander interested in having a local club please email me details (ie email address, ph numbers, fish details, anything relevant) or if anyone wants to do the dirty work as in setting up venues, newsletters, [email protected]

I am only to happy to avail my home for meetings once a month, just let me know if that sounds ok to you?

Dianne

Ummmm :roll:

Auckland Fishkeepers Association meet in GREEN BAY!!!!

Whats the point in setting up another club out there? :-?

We meet in the Green Bay community house, Behind New World on Godley Rd.

Every 2nd Tuesday of the month.

7.30pm till around 10.00pm

Wok