What makes a container 'food grade'?

jolliolli

I'm looking to around 200L (not necessarily all in the same container, maybe 50L containers) of saltwater while i move the marine tank i've just bought. I've heard the words food-grade thrown around a lot and am confused as to what makes a food grade container 'food-grade' and whether it is necessary for storing water. I might be able to borrow 60L feed containers with screw off lids, failing that i've been looking at various places like bunnings for suitable containers but have no idea how to know whether a container is food grade or not, can anyone help tell me how to identify them?

Food grade normally means it will not leach any toxic chemicals into the inside of the container to taint or poison what is inside it during it's entire life.

Many black plastics are not food-grade as they are made from toxic or semi-toxic chemicals that can leach into the material inside the container.

Ok thanks for that, i have been looking at buying some white containers and also some coloured grey crates from the warehouse. I sniffed the inside of the crate (must have looked a bit strange) but didn't smell any chemicals. I'd prefer to go with the grey crate as it is made of a stronger material, but perhaps i should stick to the white as it is less likely to have toxic chemicals in it?

There are issues with some plasticizers that are used in plastic leeching out and being toxic, some act as pseudo hormones and stuff, some actually break down to estrogen or something.

color or smell wont really tell you whats what, it needs to be ordered as food grade. there are loads of big containers on trademe that are food grade, from bringing in things like fruit concentrate or similar.

Recently after the July newsletter of the NZKA, we had a letter of concern when I quoted in an article that I did, that we used margarine containers.

Peter Cottle wrote back almost return email, to say that his friends and himself, were having problems with both fry and eggs, having them fungus and die.

I said that maybe his lot weren't as "food-grade" as ours, because we in NZ don't appear to have the same problem.

He now buys chocolates and uses the container that they come in.

Gets a couple of bonus's with that I guess.

ok thanks guys, i talked to people at payless plastics but they weren't completely sure which containers were food grade and which weren't

there are loads of big containers on trademe that are food grade, from bringing in things like fruit concentrate or similar

unfortunately not many in chch, i also read one of the guys in the salt section used a plastic container which had previously held something containing sugar and it ended up killing his corals :(. There is a plastic container manufacturer round from my work so i'll visit them monday and see what they have in the range of food grade plastics.

As are the blue plastic barrels available at most farm supply shops for water collection. $40-50 were the prices I got when I rung around, but that could be different where you're from. I have a spare in the garage but I've cut the top off it. The one I'm using is a water aging container in the fish room and I've had no ill effects whatsoever.

Your first post doesn't say whether you want to move or just hold the water but you can get them with the lids and screw on caps still on if you need to shift a large amount of water. I wouldn't want to deal with it full of water without a forklift though :o

Just bought one yesterday from the Plastic Box in New Lynn here in Auckland.

If there is a "The Plastic Box" in ChCh, try them. The one I bought is brown in colour and use to contain Olives... not sure about Popeye... so I figure that if it had Olives in it and we eat Olives (well on Pizza anyway) it had to be ok for the fish

I got several barrels many years ago (hold about 30L and have good solid handles plus the lids are leakproof) from Resene ($10 each). They were used to bring paint powder in from Italy. I just rinsed them out and they have been used now by many of our club members over the years with no problems.

Wow thanks for all the responses. Just spent the day moving the 300L tank in to the other room, dis-assembly the 180L tank, moving the discus in to the 300L and separating the fish that i have to sell. now i'm tired :).

The blue plastic barrels you mentioned blueandkim sound like the 60L ones i'm borrowing from a friend who used them to store feed. I'll be using them to transport seawater and store it for a couple of days. I figure 60L = 60Kgs so myb partner and i should be able to lift those

The 200litre blue drums were used to export sheep intestines (sausage skins) and are therefore food grade. Any container which has been used for food would be safer and cheaper than an unknown new one. I have used the 20 litre booze containers (fill your own spirits) from the pub and they are usually free if you ask nicely. You can also buy taps for them which can be handy.