Lack of water flow...

fievels007

Is a possible reason for an apparent lack of water flow because the filter is getting clogged up?

Set the tank up in mid January, haven't replaced the blue or green sponges in the filter yet, but have changed the black once and the white regularly.

This fish have been gasping for air a little. I did a water chage a couple of nights ago which solved the problem, but now the rams are back at the top. The water doesn't look to be moving much cos all the bits of debris seem to just float in the water, not actually move anywhere and the surface seems pretty still.

Ideas?

If your fish are gasping at the water its a classic sign of lack of oxygen in the water..

Check your temperature in your tank (it should probably be around 26 unless you have discus in there) warmer water holds less oxygen.

Add an air pump with air stones to get more oxygen into the water.

Or get your filter going and getting the surface of the water moving, your filters flow will noticeably slow when it is clogged so you need to clean it out more or if its clogging too often add another filter or a bigger one. I haven't replaced any media due to it reducing flow rate most of the crap can be rinsed out of it.

Even if you can get your filter running and move the surface of the water I would still suggest you add an airpump as well just so your covered in case your filter does get clogged.

Good luck!

Thanks, I cleaned out the outflow pipe and a load of gunge came out... smelt lovely! Now the water flow is a billion times faster! It had slowly been getting less and less until I had finally noticed it wasn't quite right, now all is well again. Hopefully now all the dusty looking algae will get off my plants!!!

Maybe you need to ask yourself why the filter outlet pipe got so gunked up?

You'd think most of the crap was supposed to stop before it got near the outlet pipe? Do you need to clean more often? Are your sponges in the right order? (I don't know anything specific about your filter.. just wonder what you could look at :) !)

I guess giving it a rinse when you do the sponges would take car of it too though :)

I bet your fish are pleased!!!! :bounce:

I would definalty be cleaning your filter alot more often

Also it depends on where your fish are gasping whether its an oxygen problem or not

Fish at the top of the tank yes thats generally right but if they are at the bottom of the tanks its more then likely an ammonia problem which is more likely with a clogged filter

If you want to keep your tanks running at the best level then clean it along time b4 it nearly stops

Brad