What to do with Snake Neck Turtles?

DonnaM

I'm hoping someone can give me some info on snake neck turtles. Specifically life span, basic care and can they be adapted to living in cold water pond or do they need to be permanantly in a heated tank? Is there a risk of them interbreeding with red ears? I don't have one, but theres' a couple on trade me in CH CH at the moment...and I'd be keen to branch out....

Also have a 'rescue' 4mth red eared hatchling at the moment....haven't had one younger than 2 yrs for years.....Have her set up in warm tank inside....any tips on anything special she may need? Is eating and basking well and soft shell is already looking a little better. Cheers :D

Hey nick777 that is a little uncalled for :-? , this site is to help people and DonnaM has every right to ask for advice. That is what the reptile section and this whole site is all about.

Alot of people like to ask others with first hand experience, the web can be very useful however at times there is often conflicting info, first hand experience from other keepers you cannot beat.

Sorry I didn't mean to be mean at all, It's just that I usually do a little search myself before I ask questions (after watching that post inspiration video in fun section :) )

here's what wiki says about snakenecks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snakeneck_turtle

Red eared turtles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_eared_slider

:bounce:

I thought having read so many other various questions that it was OK to ask for some info myself. I've had turtles for 20 yrs and learnt plenty from my many mistakes when there was no google or pet shops that knew anything about basic turtle care. I'm of the opinion you're never too smart to keep learning and am always keen to hear what others have learnt first hand. Having never seen any sort of forum before I was really looking forward to hearing what so many other turtle buffs might say. Not sure I'll ask again...

Not sure I'll ask again...

Please don't get all sensitive about the whole thing...I apologise if my reply seemed unfriendly...this forum is probably the best aqua forum in NZ, everyone is really helpful here!! but if you take a little time to read through what's already there you'll find answers to a lot of your questions... :D plus it'll be easier and less messy for the moderators to manage....

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/for-th ... 22723.html

Definately ask away DonnaM, there are great people on this forum with alot of knowledge to share... 8)

nick777, everyone is helpful here but when DonnaM posted her query you weren't helpful at all on your first reply, it did seem somewhat rude and discouraging and would have made any newbie forum user weary of asking or posting again. And don't worry about extra work for the mods, that's what we are here for.

I got one wild caught from a farmers dam in Palmerston North.

So if it can live there for estimated 7 years guess it would just about live anywhere.

They are tru Australians and love to go walk-about, and head for the nearest laggoon.

I lost mine from it climbing up one of those blue coves from the whareware.

They have very sharp claws that they use to great success for climbing even straight sided timber compounds..

Their bite is like a love bite from someone that has no teeth, mine loved the odd bird I chucked in for it and also cut up frozen anchovies.

Ive got two snakenecks in with some reeves, all around 1 year old, they spent last summer in an outdoor pond feeding on minnows and loved it, they are inside for winter, I think up here they can go outside around 3-4 years old, I feed them on bloodworms and pellets when they are inside.

Dont believe the common belief that they dont bask until older, mine are always out spread eagled enjoying the heat lamps :D

• 1 year later...

Hey there just saw your post and thought i'd give my 2 cents worth. I have 2 3yr old snake neck turtles and i was told by a vet that cannot survive a new zealand winter even if they hibernate during the cold winter, they will struggle in the summer also as they can get a chill and get pneumonia once they get this there is no treatment for them they will die within a few days to a week. having said that i live in Christchurch so it gets cold down here, they might be ok if you live in and above Auckland they might be ok outside for the summer. i also have found if you feed them on feeder fish they have more energy and they grow quicker, i assume the feeder fish have alot more vitamins and minerals than bloodworms etc, i also give them meals worms as a treat, give them a varied diet is always good i have also given them frogs, tadpoles, mince meat, venison, beef, fish from fish shop, dead mouse or two (just to give them a challenge for food very interesting with a dead mouse...makes a mess to). sometimes i will put them into my 1000 liter tropical tank for a decent swim, followed by a few hour run around either outside or in the lounge.

other than that i love these two and hope i have a long time with them.

Thanks.

Mmmm interesting to see this post after a year.... I've now got 6 snakenecks, 4 are really healthy and I had thought about putting them outside for next winter...but what with snow, floods and a constant high water table leaving 2 inches water permanently over back yard at the moment...maybe not. The other 2 I don't think will ever get healthy enough to live outside all yr round. One has terrible soft shell, and the 2 of them were never fed anything but ox heart for 3 yrs before I got them...from a certain site..I still can't get them to eat fish or anything live. I got some excellent calcium/vit powder in Oz (Customs OK as OZ made), which I roll the ox or chicken heart into and it sticks well and they are now eating that. Also eating boiled egg shells and cuttle bone...but not fish or even blood worms... one went 6 weeks eating nothing at all and that was mid summer!

Re tagging turtles..they used to put hole in shells and tether tortoises but apparently that would be like drilling hole in your tooth...Ahhhh :(