Row boat bugs?

fishtv

This will probably sound silly to most here but would anyone just happen to know what the proper name is for these little bugs (normally found in troughs etc.) is, they are about 5-6mm long and have legs (that look like lil oars) that they propel themselves with. Any help apreciated as we have found some and want to know if they are edible for our fish!

Water boatmen are quite big and nasty. They will also eat fish eggs. It doesn't mean there will be daphnia as well but a good chance there will be. I always get a few boatmen in my daphnia but don't know whether I would get daphnia just cos I had boatmen :roll:

I think Caryl is. Water Boatmenn are herbivorous and completely harmless. Backswimmers are the nasty ones, I've seen them take down fry the same size as them before! The difference in them is obvious - backswimmers actually swim upside down, where as water boatmen swim upright.

I think Caryl is. Water Boatmenn are herbivorous and completely harmless. Backswimmers are the nasty ones, I've seen them take down fry the same size as them before! The difference in them is obvious - backswimmers actually swim upside down, where as water boatmen swim upright.

yea thats right i did a essay on them for biology last year :roll:

oh and...

"[backswimmers] are similar to corixidae (Water boatmen), but can be separated by differences in their dorsal-ventral coloration, front legs, and behavior. Their dorsum convex is light colored without cross striations. Their front tarsi are not scoop-shaped and their hind legs are fringed for swimming."

Backswimmers:

39.jpg

Water-boatmen:

Waterboatman.gif

When I was a kid playing in the trough down on the farm we had both of these. The back swimmers used to hang out on the top, just beneath the surface, basking in the sun, their movements were more like moquito larvae. The boatmen looked more like a beetle to me and would zoom up to the surface, grab some air, and scoot back down to the bottom again.

We put little fish from the creek (cockabillies?) in there and they all lived happily for quite a number of years. I used to spend days playing in the trough all through summer... was only the bloodworms that used to gross me out!!!!

I hope this fascinating insight into my childhood helps you in someway!!! Oh the memories!!! sigh....