marine tank advice

arly

Hi

I have had coldwater and tropical tanks for about 18 months now and am just starting into marines - what I want to know is there anyone in Christchurch with marine knowledge that will help me with questions and advice if needed. I have been to the pet shops but sometimes you need knowledge from someone who is not trying to sell you something and has experienced the problems.

Are there are clubs in CHC?

Thanks in advance

Hi Arly, welcome to The Fishroom.

There is a club in Christchurch. Click on the "FNZAS.org is here" logo at the top of this page and look under 'clubs'. A contact name and phone number is given. I don't think any of the members have marines though. They are a very small club.

Hi Arly my name is Adam and I'm from Auckland, About 3 months ago I set up trropical marine tank in my bedroom. It is a very simple tank, all I have in it are a large sea anenome, two clown fish and two mollys. The tank is a 4 foot bow front with a built in trickle filter system and i hav it about one thrird full with coral rock (not live rock yet). I am also only a beginer in this area but I am happy two help you out with the little knowledge I have gatherd so far.

P.S.there are alot of guys in this club that may not have salt water tanks but are still quite knowlegeable in that area so if you do run into any problems just post them up on the board and some one will surely be able to help you out :wink:

Let me know how you get on with the Canterbury club Arly. Even if none of them keep marines they should still be able to point you in the direction of someone (or somewhere) who does, or tell you where to go to get the help you need. We have our national conference Queen's birthday weekend so if you have not been given assistance by then, let me know and I will speak to their conference delegates.

Clubs should be encouraging members by giving good advice or help so I am keen to hear of any in our federation that do not do so. By the same token, I would be equally pleased to hear you got a LOT of help and advice! :D

Redwood Aquatics, The Fishtank and Pet World (and Kritter Kingdom I think) all have marine tanks.

Thanks for replys - have been to all the local fish stores - also Trendy Aquariums have a few marines - it is just sometimes you can't always rely in what they say if they are trying to sell you something -

Hi Arly,

Have you visited Redwood Aquatics. They are pretty good. I've found Bob Ward (the owner) to be pretty good. I have no experience with the other staff, but if the general philosophy Bob has is present in his staff they will be good too. Their range of marines isn't too bad either.

Hi Warren

Yes I do go out there on a regular basis - am just waiting for him to get his next lot of anemones in - he has some awesome fish in his display tanks but you need to get in quick when he gets a shipment in.

Bought a cleaner shrimp from him last week which seems to be settling in

Thanks for your reply

Arly

• 2 months later...

hi

in auckland we have a marine club. it has about 30 members.

if you want to join please email me and i will add you to the contact list.

here are some web sites for some info

http://www.oceanicimages.co.nz/index.asp

www.aqua.net.nz

if you are in christchurch you should be able to go to petworld.

EDDIE the owner in a fish importer

one thing about the hobby in new zealand i have found is that things are not cheap.

a average tank will cost about $6000.

one thing i say to people is if you cant afford to spend this amount it is better to go with tropical fish.

lots of people try to do it cheap , and find that they lose a lot of stock.

with most things costing over $100 you cant afford to lose anything.

I agree with Reef, Petworld in Ferry Rd Christchurch is a good place to go re marine fish and setting up. The owner is so helpful and knowledgable. So is Heidi his daughter they have both helped me a lot with the tropicals and I notice that the shop floor is giving much more space to the marine set ups and fish. All look healthy. Redwood also has some marine :D

I`d like to add that this is for a substantial sized tank.I have heard of people spending that much but can tell you from experience that you can get away with spending 25% of that amount and still have a nice looking tank.I`d also like to say that with costing like that people are easily deterred and this is a bad thing for a marine club.

Actually, I'm not fainting.:) The few prices I've seen for skimmers put a $1000 skimmer at the 500-600 liter range, so that tank would be about 5 times as big as I'm thinking.

Already got the tank and stand, that cuts off $1000. Don't really need a skimmer, that's -$1000 again, Metal halides, don't need them without coral -$1000. Base rock, 1/5th the size=1/5th the rock so $200. Sump and plumbing, not planned, -$300, Coral, not wanted, -$2000. Fish, 1/5th the fish=$200, Pumps and powerheads, maybe $100 for a single powerhead.

So, going by that logic my total would be $5300 less just for things I wouldn't need.:) My only expenses would be about $500. Could cut a bit off that getting cheaper fish to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all, my parents breed, board and groom dogs and they have a wholesale account, infact i probably wouldn't be doing what im doing if it wasn't for them. Similarly i know a fish breeder in auckland who uses the same wholesaler. I mean he breeds fish so you could consider him to be in the trade, he became GST registered for the pure fact that he could open a trade account and get goods at cost. :wink:

Keep in mind that trade accounts are only for people who are in business as Retail outlets, Large Breeding Facilities (that are a business) or Fish Farms. They should also be a registerred company.

There are some people who come up with a business name, GST register then get an account with the wholesalers to get cheaper pet supplies. They sometimes also buy items for other people and make a profit (probably without declaring it too). They are however not a registerred company.

It is this type of action that gives many retailers a bad attitude towards fish clubs who have members doing this. If you have an account for your business and you are not a retail outlet, you should keep your account for your own business use and not tell others about it.

Happy Fishkeeping.

As an aside - in the computer industry wholesalers will not deal with you unless you are a registered company due to too many people ripping them off in the manner Warren mentioned. They set up, get what they want then the business disappears.

• 9 months later...