bugs in tank !!!!!

candy

Just went to do a water change and my bf was looking across the top of the water and there are tini bugs jumping... lots of them like 100's. Looking at them from above they just look like little yellow flecs.

Tank water is all fine exept there is a slight film on the water. Water changes done 2-3 times a week... also just added some new plants, could they have come in on these?

Any Ideas!!!!!!

Also just spoted a white worm like thini squiggling around...

HELP....

I had the same. Little brown/red ones? They're tiny, and I tried flushing them into the water but they don't sink and just jump back up onto the side.

I saw a tiny wriggly worm in the water also. At first I thought it was a tiny white worm I'd thrown in but the fish refused to eat it. In the end I just ignored it. Curious where they came from.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a read about them and lots of people comented that they think they came on plants, A fav being indian fern!

Most tanks have them in tini quanitys but if you feed a diet rich in protin they can become more pronounced.

No harm done to the fish and mine are to stupid to eat them lol

I think theyr worldwide as i have them in my tanks. Some fish WILL eat them, especially young killifish and many livebearers, any small fish that will stalk prey on the surface will prey upon them, dont expect danios or fast swimming fish to eat them.

I think theyr worldwide as i have them in my tanks. Some fish WILL eat them, especially young killifish and many livebearers,

Maybe I feed mine too much as both my killies and my guppies do not eat them. I wonder if they have a hard exo-skeleton or something and are too crispy??

lol possibly, i doubt it with the size but im not going to say your wrong. if theres easier food to get rather than hunting, would you go hunting? obviously if theres alot of plant cover itll be hard for the fish to reach em.

LOL! thats quite a solution! just bare in mind that butterflies like to eat anything that may fit into its mouth. i dont know if they would be interested in such a small prey item. in my opinion though, just leave them, theyr just another food supply for the right fish. maybe switching food for the fish may reduce the amount of food available for the bugs to survive on and thus reduce the numbers. hope that helps