SENSITIVE GORAMI?

hevalump

just a question regaring whether a dwarf gorami is a sensitive fish. Last nite i did our first water change after introducing this fish and he was darting about the tank then once the change was complete and ph levels etc tested, he began to list over to one side, almost laying on his side on the bottom of the tank, then would dart across the tank and anytime a fish came within a few centimetres he would bolt across the tank away from them , i thought he was going to die so turned the lights off and covered the tank hoping that he would not die, and this morning he was fine!! Are goramis prone to stress from water changes or is there another explanation to this weird behaviour. We have a pearl gorami, some harlequins, a butterfly ram and a pleco in the tank and none of them have had disputes

ive got a male and female dwf gourami....and ive just done my first water change for since ive had the tank set up (mid january) and both seem fine...infact all my fish seem fine...

i got my pair of dwarfs only two weeks after the tank was set up...i only had a small problem with the male...he was really vicous at first...attacking the female and zebra danios...but he calmed down a lot lately...he just swims around showing of his bright colours...he really is an amazing fish...but my female is also very pretty...silver....with irregular patterns of shiny blue scales

say do you have anymore gouramis???

sumo

ive got a male and female dwf gourami....and ive just done my first water change for since ive had the tank set up (mid january) and both seem fine...infact all my fish seem fine...

i got my pair of dwarfs only two weeks after the tank was set up...i only had a small problem with the male...he was really vicous at first...attacking the female and zebra danios...but he calmed down a lot lately...he just swims around showing of his bright colours...he really is an amazing fish...but my female is also very pretty...silver....with irregular patterns of shiny blue scales

say do you have anymore gouramis???

sumo

wow, you mean you have never done a water change since mid-january?

yeah im keen on gorami, they are really little characters. I reacon the water change stressed my fish.... so would it be a good idea in future to remove him from the tank while changing water... my other pearl gorami wasnt at all phased by the change, so it just might be this little bloke.

I agree with Caryl. Do you vacuum the gravel when you did the water change? If you do just take it easy. Some of my fish tend to get in the way when i vacuum gravel trying to get at the debris as its sucked up the tube :evil:

Some fish seem to take longer than others to get used to strange non aquatic organisms rummaging around in their environment.

yeah it could possibly be the vacume that "offended" the Gorami, it a rather wide tubular vacume and i have seen ones that resemble a normal "floor" vacumes shape, wide but flatter.... and being a bit of a novice i aint exactly fluent in the water changing process......... anyway, ill try to take it easy and get a new vacume maybe. :)

I'm of the opinion that you should do a lot of water changes while cycling, better to keep ammonia and nitrite levels low and just live with a slightly longer cycle than have a short cycle that kills fish.

That being said, I haven't even bothered with checking for ammonia when setting up new tanks in ages. Just transfer some gravel or media from another tank and call it good.:)