Turtle not eating

bdspider

I was just wondering if it's normal for red ear sliders to not eat much over winter? Mum's one has done this the past two winters & she gets worried about him.

I think the heater is the original one when the turtle was in a 2ft tank (yes, our "favourite" chain pet store said 2 sliders would be fine in a 2 ft and she'd never have to upgrade), so maybe the heater isn't enough in the 4ft tank. I suggested getting another heater.

And how long are heat lamps meant to last? Mum went through 3 in about 5 years, before she gave up buying them. Maybe this adds to turtles fasting, not being warm when he's not in water.

Thanks in advance for help!

ps, whats the best food for adult sliders? She keeps buying frozen turtle tucker & insects I think, but I've heard vegies are a fave for adults?

best way is to check the water temp.Under 18 d`s they can`t digest the food properly and show little interest.The short day length has just as much as anything and alot will slow down regardless of temp.Males are more tolerant and active way lower than females as well.If they have warm water and cold air(as in chch)is not ideal and can lead to respiratory problems.

Hi there, providing a turtle is in good health it can go anything up to a month without eating anything at all and still be fine. Variety is a key. If you want to introduce new food leave it for 3 or 4 days with none and then try a small amount of something new. Purina 1 cat food(biscuits) is an excellent food for turtles. Add chopped up Ox heart (cut the fat off) 2/3 x week and some snails shell and all. Greens can be tricky. I believe water cress is good. Mine nibble on pond plants. A bit of banana and carrot is good too. It's fine for them to slow down in the winter. They are actually less likely to develop shell problems if water is cold or not heated too much. Most of my 13 are in a pond outside with 1 heater to stop water frezing on these -5 Frosts. I feed them when they look a bit active/interested. My oldest is now 23 yrs and doing fine. If you want to keep them eating, then keep water temp up, but would be fine at 20 or 22.

Cheers