Fishroom time!

evilknieval69

Well, its been a long 2 weeks (more like 7 months! :roll: ) but my brother has FINALLY moved out! So that means, i move into his bedroom, and my old bedroom becomes, a fishroom!! Not too many tanks, but at least they are all in one place.

Heres what it was at 8.30 this morning

FishroomBeforeSmall.jpg

Then i moved the bed and tv out, and cleaned up all the &^$% that was under my bed and it turned out like this

FishroomcleanedoutSmall.jpg

Then i put in the two stands im using on that side, the first one is 4 foot, the second 3 foot. plus my water aging barrel.

FishroomstandsinSmall.jpg

Then i put in a 3 foot tank, and one of the 2 foot killie tanks (divided into two)

FishroomtanksinSmall.jpg

(that photos from the window looking back cos i put the door on too)

So thats all that i have done so far. There will be another 2 footer (divided into 3) for the killies, between the wall and the 2 footer in the photo. The 3 footer will be planted out, and will have my bichir (the 3 footer has a footprint of 90 x 45 so its big enough) and whatever else i put with it, maybe some big tetras....

Once the existing two footer has warmed up and has a filter or two in it, my two trios of killies will go into there, and i will take the two footer they are in now and divide it into 3. I need to buy 5 more sponge filters and a big air pump too!

So all in all, the room will have my 250L 4 footer, 160L 3 footer, and 5 killie tanks, from 20-30L's

In my new bedroom im gunna have a small (38x38x38) cube tank beside my bed, and a 120L african tank. Theres a bit of space in each corner of the fishroom for a couple more smaller tanks so maybe ill make up some of them too 8)

I will try to keep this updated. i will be working on it most of the week 8)

Comments, suggestion, criticism welcome!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmmm... think of how many tanks you could get on stands up the wall.

:lol:

Yea i did that on 2 walls so 1 wall has 9metres of tanks and the other has 6 metres of tanks and then the other 2 walls i've got my planted tank (5FT) and oppisite that ive got my fry tanks under the window.

My mum was happy that she got a spare bedroom at last and then i had a great idea lol

Make sure you keep the curtains closed during the day and then open them abit a night to get less condensation. also keep the door and window closed to keep the power bill down

Haha adodge, yea i could get heaps more in there. but im quite happy with whats there ATM :lol:

Markoshark, I am looking at getting a dehumidifier with mums fly buys points :lol: They definately do wonders. We borrowed one yesterday and had it running in my new room all night and i emptied about 6 litres out of it this morning, that was a damp room though, the windows never got opened :-?

I just found another air pump i havent used before, i thought it was bung ( i got it with 9 other semi broken ones) but i plugged it in and it pumps HEAPS of air. I have it connected to 3 airstones ATM, so it combined with my already pretty grunty air pump, will give me more than enough air for now... May have to get a bigger one in the future though :lol:

Now i just need some sponge filters... Anyone know where the best place to get 5 sponge filters from?? I would prefer them to all be the same....

Thanks for the tip with the windows/door cichlid7. I never used to use the door when it was my bedroom, i just took it off its hinges, but i put it back on this morning to try keep a bit of heat in :lol: I just found that the heater on my present killi tank has crapped out too.... got some cold killies..... owell, they will have to wait till their new tank is ready :lol:

For my two thousand, five hundred and oneth post :-? Heres another pic as of 5 minutes ago. ive been cutting up some glass for dividers, lids, bracing etc for all the tanks....

I also got some water aging so i can do some water changes tomorrow on the already setup tanks... most of them will be moved too....

Fishroom.jpg

I filled the 3 footer up, poly still has the slightest movement in it but its fine. im sure it will compress down a little bit more....

To do list:

Move killies to new 2 footer when ready

Clean out old killie tank and silicone in 2 dividers (gunna need more silicone too!)

Put heater and filter into 3 footer when i go get them from a mate who borrowed them

Move 50L and 120L tanks from hallway into other room and do BIG water changes on both...

Thats about it

:lol:

Went out at 3:30 and locked up the room (windows and door closed) came back and the room was HOT and the windows were fogged up.... Not good :lol:

Decided to leave the door open from now on, would rather have heaters come on more than a mouldy room!

One dilema. the killie tank with the two compartments has a heater on one side, which in theory, should heat that water, and the heat travels through the glass and heats the other side.... The side with the heater in is nice and steady at 24/25 degrees but the other side is COLD! whats up with that!?!?!?!

I think that once the heaters been on for a while the other side will warm up, it will just take longer to start with as the glass will have to transfer the heat unless theres enough circulation around the divider for the water to circulate through. Might take overnight as well.

In my other divided 2 footer i have a useless divider in there which has airline around the edges, but still has gaps so theres a bit of silicon and gravel mixed in aswell, and i have the filter going from one side to the other, but on that one the water can travel back and forward freely. This new one, i fully siliconed the divider in so its actually 2 tanks in one... both sides are seperate. i was just gunna have a filter in each, and hoped that the heat would transfer....

If its not better by the morning then i might have to empty the tank pull that divider out and put a less permanent one in with split airline.....

Just chucked the thermometer into each side and it wasnt too bad. the heated side is sitting on 24, and the other side is sitting on 20/21. It will probably go up a bit more too but even 21 is fine for the killies so it will be sweet. i might do the next two footer (the one im gunna divide into 3) differently and make it one tank with three compartments, so the water can flow between them all...

I put the thermometer into the 3 footer which is sitting there full of water with no heater and it was 13 degrees :o

Sounds like you are having fun evil.

Heck yea! :lol: shoulda bought some sponge filters at that living waters sale though! but you got them all!! :lol:

Evil, use a thermostatically controlled fan heater set to 25oC,

No more cooked tanks.

All tanks the same temp.

No more condensation.

Cut some polystyrene to cover your windows at night to stop sneaky heat.