PMDD Info

HaNs

The below is from http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

But, to get started, for each ten gallons, try around 1/12 ml of PMDD a day (roughly 2 drops). A 29 gallon tank would then get 1/4 ml a day (roughly 6 drops). If you don't do many partial water changes, dose less. If you have a "high tech", densely planted, CO2 injected, VHO lit tank, you might want to double the dose to 1/6 ml of PMDD per 10 gallons a day (roughly 4 drops).

Just make sure you keep an eye on the Nitrate levels when using PMDD. Personally i try and keep it around 5ppm Nitrate. If over dosing this can lead to algae growth and other implications

Also make sure you store it in the fridge to prevent fungus, unless you're adding the Hcl Hans?

No HCL. People can add it once they get the mix. I have never had a problem with fungus. I do treat my jars in boiling water before putting the mix in.

When using PPMD, does it mean I don't need to used another fert. ie fert balls or daltons aquatic mix?

I use daltons mix and have never used other ferts when using PMDD

(i do have a bottle of fert sitting here that cost me $40) :o

So Daltons mix plus PPMD = very good.

In my case it seams to be

Do the trace elements have iron in it? I understand that plants need iron but to much is not good for fishes.

It does have small amounts. All my tanks are fine using this product

• 1 month later...
iron is the most important element that plants require after light and CO2

Nitrate is more important than Iron I'd say

If you exclude Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen (CO2 and H2) then plants consist of approx 30,000 ppm Nitrogen; 20,000 ppm Potassium and 150 ppm Iron. But iron is the critical component of chlorophyll and thus photosynthesis. Nitrogen from ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is esential for protein production and leaf growth.

Yes exactly. I didn't mention that nitrate can be gotten from ammonia or nitrate because those really shouldn't be in a planted tank anyways :P I said that nitrogen is more important than iron, but that's just because more of it is used. Really, nitrogen, iron, carbon, potassium and a few other elements are all "essential" in that they play a critical part in plant functioning at some point or another. What luke said isn't true obviously, but what he probably meant was iron is one of the most important to supplement, which is true. Usually enough nitrogen is produced for most people to not have to worry about supplementation.

Plants actually use ammonium better than nitrate. They may have a high percentage of Nitrogen in their structure but ammonium is much easier for them to assimilate than nitrate. Ammonium should be readily available in the planted tank as the pH should be below 7.

Nitrate is not more important than iron or any other nutrient for that matter. The correct balance between all nutrients (including CO2) and light is required for optimal growth and PMDD with macro-nutrients comes very close to the correct balance.

To say nitrate is more important than iron does not mean anything as without iron, the nitrate (or nitrogen containing compound) is useless...