Water proof fans

raeh1

Guest Anonymous

I'm with reef, grab a 120mm computer fan or 80mm. However the they will rust over time, but they are like 5-10$ each so it's nothing to be overly concerned about.

Jaycar stock these type of fans, both in 12 and 240 volt, although they are not waterproof.

However I have a 240 volt one that is covered white with salt spray, been running for 3 years no issues. Maybe one day I'll get a shock though :o , dunno.

If you get a 12v computer fan, wire it to a 9volt plugpack. It will turn at 1/2 speed, only make 1/4 of the noise, and last much longer. Get the bigger size (120mm) fan, they move much more air and are quieter too.

If it's set to blow air into the tank hood, then salt and water isn't an issue, it's sucking fresh air.

Cheers

Ian

Do as Ianb suggests and reduce the voltage on the fan. I do this so the fan runs silently. You'll only need a small amount of air movement to stop the condensation so slowing the fan down will be fine. Use 120mm as they typically spin slower than the smaller fans so are less noisey to start with. You could get a plugpack with an output voltage selector to make adjusting the fan speed easier or use a computer fan speed controller. I made a speed controller before they were available really cheap for PC's...