brown algae on new plant/tank.

Nicolette

Why is my Green stardust plant have brown algae on it? Any ideas?

DSCF0002.jpg

Its a new plant from LFS and a new tank only 8 days old and a new bulb in the overhead lighting, (the sort that are good for plant and fish growth) its not in direct sunlight and the temp of tank is 27deg and ph is around 7.4 and its situated directed behind a piece of bogwood and still in its plastic cage thing it came in.

I have been told it may be new tank syndrome... if so what do I do to fix it?

Cheers all for any and all responses.

For a start Nic. the stardust is NOT an aquarium plant, and sorry to say will gradually deteriorate and die from drowning.

It does ok in a bog situationn tho.

Did you get it from an LFS, if so, tell them of the errors of their ways so as no-one else will get sucked in.

Probably paid good money for it there where as you prolly could have got it for a fraction at a Pak-n-save or similar.

But the result would have been the same either way.

The way to tell a terrestial from an aquatic in a general way is that the aquatics don't support themselves out of water where the others do.

Really?! Wow.

Thats pretty dodgy if she is selling aquaria plants that are not actually for aquariums. Won't be going back there if thats the case.

She also sold me a mini mondo which I was also told yesterday was not an aquatic, Is this true? (these two plants she recommended as good, hardy and easy to look after)

This is the mini mondo she sold me

DSCF0010.jpg

ok right... officially annoyed now.

I didn't pay a lot for them but I know she has quite a few still for sale (submerged in a tank) at the store so I will be taking both plants back today with a request for a refund.

Thanks for the info.

You see alot of these non aquatic plants being sold to LFS as aquatic plants from plant suppliers/wholesalers, have seen them on the lists... :-? So seems that the LFS owner has no idea herself, so might pay to actually inform her incase she is innocent and truely has no idea.

I suspect the LFS owner is innocent or ignorant of these plants not being true aquatics. She didn't know a lot about them, just read me the blurb she got from her supplier.

But in any case she does need to know so she can decide for herself if she still wants to sell them.

The annoying thing for me is having no plants in the tank again. sigh... oh well at least I like shopping and thank goodness for Trademe.

You are also close to the border with that green and white leaf plant there.

If the colours were reversed, it is the aluminium plant or spider plant.

The one you have is the wheat or rice plant, named for the cluster of bulbs at the root base.

BUT, it is not an aquatic either, but will survive better that the aluminium plant.

Alan... are you referring to the green and white leafed plant behind and to the left of the teracotta pot? If so then err :oops: thats on the background paper behind the tank. If your referring to the plant in the terracotta pot, that is solid green and was told it was a mondo.

What plants should I be looking for to begin a plant/fish tank?

There are several plant suppliers on site here, I think it is a bit off season at the moment, but if you were to enquire from them, I'm sure that they'd help you out at a bit cheaper than the LFS too.

Indian fern and java moss are good starters as are valisenerias and cryptocoryne.

Like alanmin says, the mondo is a rip off too.

at least the green and white won't die then will it??

Well either way both the plants are now relocated to dry land. I was gifted some lovely plant cuttings from another member here and they are currently starting to put roots down and making the tank look almost natural... lol. Thanks to my generous donator you know who you are.

And because the new cuttings were from an established tank I even have some algae and bacteria now growing to help cycle my wee set up.

So the brown algae now looks like thin strands of cotton... Kinda river looking actually. Very cool to watch the new tetras swim through.

Thanks all for your input etc. I didn't bother taking the plants back to the LFS as other things got in the road and now it just doesn't seem worth it.

But thanks for all your help.