June 18, 200719 yr comment_168438 Okay i swear that when i was at kindergarton that worms were everywhere... I spent like an hour the other night in the rain digging around and found none! Does anyone have any good ways to find them? Or a mating call or something? Also what other bugs do fishies eat? Its to try on my Clown Knife Ta, Milet Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168442 in rain, earthworms will either be very close to the surface, or very deep. To avoid being drowned. Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168451 my bio teacher says to jump up and down 100 times in the same place and they "should" come up to the surface :lol: Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168452 I spent like an hour the other night in the rain digging around and found none! Maybe they were all on the nearest footpath - don't they do that when it rains? start a worm farm Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168454 my bio teacher says to jump up and down 100 times in the same place and they "should" come up to the surface u sure that wasnt for P.E. trying to get you to exercise Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168460 I spent like an hour the other night in the rain digging around and found none! Does anyone have any good ways to find them? Ta, Milet Try lifting up rocks, pieces of wood/branches,, sometimes even leaf litter (if you have trees), garden furniture (tip them over), slabs of slate/stones, potplants and you'll usually find part of a tail/head sticking out, basically anything sitting on your grass in your garden, that's been lying there a while. Haven't tried the jumping up and down one, must try that on the kids, and see how long it keeps them occupied! They love wormhunting in the rain, and are pretty good at it too. Report
June 18, 200719 yr Author comment_168464 haha yeah how much $$ per hour kapo? Hmm ill try the jumping trick later lol sounds fun and good exercise Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168466 Hell.. come for a trip and dig at our house, we have zillions of the things here :lol: Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168470 Ive read that if you put an old sack on the lawn and put all your old tea bags and tea leaves, when you lift it up there will be heaps..... worth a try Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168479 I have 2 fish bins with holes drilled in them covered in some shade cloth. I threw some dirt and food scraps into the bins and added 1kg of worms of trademe....now i have endless worms that i can up in seconds and my fish love me! Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168480 Were those the "tiger-worms" HaNs?? They (t/w's) have light markings on each of their segments. Report
June 18, 200719 yr Author comment_168481 Are "Reds (L.rubellus) and Tigers (E.fetida)" okay to feed fish with? Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168510 Were those the "tiger-worms" HaNs?? They (t/w's) have light markings on each of their segments. I wouldn't have a clue. Ill check in the morning. Does it matter? Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168511 I used to place cardboard down on the grass with a brick to keep it in place. In a week the grass has died off and the worms are generally near the surface. With regards to the jumping, (im not that keen on exercise) just pat the ground with your hands constantly, ie; bang bang bang bang bang. For a couple of minutes as that simulates the vibration of rain. Good luck. Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168519 I've got a worm farm. They eat all of the kitchen scraps, apart from meat, citrus and spicy things. They eat loads and break it down nicely and I always have a massive supply for my birchir and fronts, who love them! I was out there last night and I would estimate that for every square 5cm x 5cm block, there would be about 50 worms in there!! Report
June 18, 200719 yr Author comment_168524 Aww i wish i was that lucky I'll have to have a look on trademe for a couple of hundred to start up a farm Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168526 you don't need that many - they grow and breed REALLY fast - but you do need to get tiger worms cause they are much harder workers! I can send you some if you pay for the postage... Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168532 But according to other hobbiest, the tigers are not as palatable for the fish. The reason they are appreciated for their hard work is from the production of the side products that are reaped from them. "Give me a big fat garden worm any time." Well that's what my uarus said anyway. Report
June 18, 200719 yr comment_168533 really?? Oh ok - well mine all seem to like them - but I don't give them a choice so manybe its just cause they don't know any better!! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.