What native fish are legal to keep?

HaNs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah me too, I know the collection of some (if not most) native fish is against the law but some more clarification of this would be good.

I live on the north shore and just out the back of my place is a stream full of fish that I would love to collect a few for my tank.

I also see some native Koura ( fresh water cray's ) on sale at Jansens Mt. Eden !

Im going to ring DOC in the morning and have a chat about fish and gecko's

Dad works for DOC and will have a chat to the guys at work

Mum thinks that you cant catch koura unless your Maori or something.

How much where they at the shop. Im sure i could get some in the lake easy...but catching the fish might be the hard part

I would like say 4-5 species of fish and a few so i could try and breed them. I wouldn't mind a short finned eel, but i might eat my fish.

I would like a native planted tank with a sand bottom. If anyone knows where to get some native plants from(even out of a stream) give me a PM

dude there is heaps on this website about fw natives-

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/our-na ... 18260.html

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/raisin ... 74868.html

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/1-vt19 ... sc&start=0

as for the eels- not for a tank with your fish!!! they also grow quite long and put out a heap of waste!

give me a PM if you need any more info- Stella will be able to help you out too with questions..

and some pics i took- just for fun- enjoy :D

bully4.jpg

bully3.jpg

fwfish2.jpg

fwcray.jpg

Davidb: Yes i have searched this site and i have read all that material and more!

Im looking at a short finned eel that grow to 90cm as a adult. It may take a long time to get that big. I plan on giving it away once it gets bigger or just get another tank for it if i attached to it :roll:

looks like it might be good- 5 native species of fish plus freshwater crays! looks a fairly healthy stream too... I fould baby eels in the stream running from the duckpond at the Auckland Domain, that was cool... You should check out Vaughn river on the shore, I remember from EnviroSci reseach that was a very heathy stream

I believe that the legal status may depend on whether it is whitebait season or not.

Yes, but that only applies to actual whitebait, you dont want to get busted catching them out of season. I believe inunga and kokopu ( the adults ) are OK to catch any time.

So can I just toodle down to the stream at the back of my place, net a few natives and some water from this source?

Basically... yes 8)

Cheers

Ian

local doc officer said technically

all whitebait species adults as well fall under the can catch only during whitebait season

the odd person taking for keeping in their own tank would be tolerated but wholesale taking of fish, gets a smacked hand

one of the giant kokopu in our streams on the property is over 28cms long, quite a few giants, heaps of banded all sizes

bullies are exempt

koura need a licence to sell but can be taken and kept

none to be released in a different waterway

hope this helps

as has been stated on the mudfish topic, keeping things that are endangered will probably get you a smacked hand,

the commoner stuff will be ok.

natives harder to find in lake taupo have to compete with the introduced predators catfish and trout.

try the feeder streams the further up you go and the smaller the stream the better your chances, especially the farm drains in farmland or reclaimed swamp areas