For your info, New Import regs

Alan

ARH. What about parrots (birds), you think your hard done buy try not being able to import any fish. Then you'll start to see a lot of puddles at the airport.

And the reason that birds can't aren't allowed to be imported is the cost of setting a Q station up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BK

Thats not all of it as there are a couple of Q stations here now. One of the main reasons is diseases like Newcastles in Ozzie.

I have imported racing pigeons on several occasions but the shutters went up a few years back when Newcastles disease broke out in Oz . the interesting thing is that pigeons can-not catch it or even carry it.

thing is that its simplier to say no than do all the work involved with allowing the importation of any live stock at all.

Now all you need to do is be a pain in the rear and keep poking sticks in the brew to get rid of the lumps.

actually the reason parrots aren't allowed to be imported is nothing to do with the cost of building a quarantine facility. A quarantine facility being expensive does not result in importation being illegal. Lots of people were legally importing birds and they had perfectly serviceable facilities. What happened was that someone imported a bunch of parrots which were (while still in quarantine) found to be carrying diseases not at that time found in NZ. They should have been either destroyed or returned to the country of origin; he agreed to destroy them, but then -- because he was an idiot -- he instead spread these diseased birds out into the aviaries of other aviculturists who were only too willing to potentially sacrifice both their own hobby and the native wild birds of NZ in the name of greed. All private imports of parrots were stopped after that, and it is likely they will not recommence (apart for zoos, which I believe may still be allowed to)

I'm surprised they took his word for it and assumed that he would destroy the birds... :roll:

I believe most of the birds were destroyed, he had just snuck some choice species out that were at that time very rare or absent from NZ aviculture. I know Derbyan parrots were amongst them.

also you've got to admit that MAF have an uphill struggle with regards to funding and getting reliable people as identifiers of species. Apparently the reason people like Freddie Angel could smuggle out protected geckos so easily amongst legal species (common and forest) is because MAF would check the shipment THE DAY BEFORE shipping, not when it was actually going out, so after the checks the protected species would be substituted and hey presto. Then there's all the illegal fish that come in. I know of piranhas, lionfish, etc etc, coming in easily because the MAF people didn't know one fish from another.

I know of piranhas, lionfish, etc etc, coming in easily because the MAF people didn't know one fish from another.

With talk like this on the open forum you could very well expect a visit from MAF very shortly.

Do you "actually" realise the implications you are making...?

Bill.

I had similar experiance both here and in Oz where I would front up with the birds the day befor export in Oz and show the Ozzie vet what he had to look for. When they came to NZ the same again here in that they would have a quick look inside and ask a few questions about racing and I was then on my way. I have to say that the reason I started to import was the rumours of smuggled pigeon eggs and I made sure the birds were clean from everything. I didnt want to have my birds wrecked with disease.

Sillest thing they ever did was stop the import as now the rumours are surfaceing again.

Simple thing is that if it isnt done above board, then sooner or later temptation will take over

That was one of the reason that private Q stations where close for parrots and that MAF don't want the cost of setting their own one up. The silly thing is you can still import chicken eggs. There is a move to allow parrot eggs into the country but with the poultry board sitting on the panel that makes the decision about what gets imported they see to it that only poultry get permits. It is common knowledge who is smuggling they just can't fit them up. There is a rumor that there is a pair of Hyacinth Macaws in the country but not many know where or if this is correct but at $50k ozzie I wouldn't be telling to many people either. Ozzie had the same problems with their private Q stations. Birds being swapped for similar looking birds etc. They where also stopped importing but a-long with their government set a Q station, which is paid for by the birding clubs I think and run by a government department. Birds fly around the world so there is always a high risk and with there being a lot of cash involved with smuggling due to not being able to import I think that this situation increases the risk not reduces it. The last thing I want to see is wild caught birds being sold. For the record I keep Macaws, Conures and a Galah. Would love some Gang Gang's and some Conures that Ozzie has but not NZ, Painted, Pearly, Crimson etc if it’s illegally there’s money in it and people will look to profit from this.

• 1 month later...
was told today at the lfs that a new list/regs came in to effect on 1st Aug and it now means that guppies can no longer be imported amongst others. Can anyone confirm this?

No new regs have come in. Maf is doing a risk assessment which is not due out for another 6 months. The review was started 2 years ago.