New tank almost ready...

Feel like I'm almost ready to fill the tank with treated water and introduce the first fish. You can read this entire post or skip to the questions at bottom.

I have been working up a community in my head of something like this 6 silver shark, 6 clown loach, then some numbers of tiger barb, khuli loach, bristlenose and/or larger sized tetra. The tank is very bare atm and the slower-lower level critters would need a lot more cover before even considering their purchase (months away). The wood I found has some great hiding places though.

I have been reading about oscars and it would be a huge departure from the planted, community aquarium. Sources have suggested less palateable plants like java as being suitable in oscar tanks if the roots are protected.

www.aquahobby.com/tanks/img/igor1.jpg

...is the what made me consider oscars because it appears they don't have to be in a low-maintenance 'cell'.

From what I've found out reading.. reading.. the format when starting out with oscars is to aquire a number of juveniles (5-6) as they pair off seperate (or rehome) the singles and keep a breeding pair. Some suggest my tank as being far too small others just about right. From what I've seen of these fish 200L each seems very generous! But this maybe a social consideration (rather than a hygiene one) and relate to the oscars and not any other fish knocking about in the tank (plecos/clown loaches?).

My partner thinks the oscars are *very* ugly, but I like them and am intrigued by their personality. I know that once we start a community aquarium that means no Oscars for a long time (like until I win lotto/get a 100% pay rise or put a ring on her finger (maybe not then)) but certainly not till we move to a larger abode... I guess the appeal for me is these fish appear to relate to their owner, not something I'm expecting from shark or loach.

Are Oscars an 'advanced' or difficult fish to maintain?

Is it hard to find homes for lil Oscars if they make it into the world?

Is the idea of a planted oscar tank a myth, a fabrication or outright lie!?

Are oscars REALLY that cool?!

So far I have:-

167cmx50cmx53cm tank (about 400Ltr)

external Eheim & Fluvan canister filters. Fresh noodles for the eheim - won't run the fluvan for a bit.

2x300W heaters (mounted at both ends)

Largish, unrotten, beach-sourced driftwood. cut this to stand on its side and siliconed onto sheet of glass placed on bottom of tank under gravel so no chance of movement. Also smaller piece to be weighted down until completely water logged. I got a bit carried away and one nice looking piece was almost rotten - sort of soft so binned it.

Many plastic plants of questionable believabilty.

Gravel enough to cover the bottom for about 3 inches although only 1inch+/- atm.

Nets, tank cycle and water conditioner.

Tap water (ph about 7.2 at last check)

Girlfriend - excited about plants, not so excited about fish!

Are Oscars an 'advanced' or difficult fish to maintain?

Not really. They are big, messy and like live or at least fresh food.. apart from that they aren't difficult to keep.

Is it hard to find homes for lil Oscars if they make it into the world?

You should be OK selling / finding homes for Oscars. They are a popular fish.

Is the idea of a planted oscar tank a myth, a fabrication or outright lie!?

They are large inquistive fish... if they can eat or uproot it.. they will. Plants and oscars are a challange.

Are oscars REALLY that cool?!

Depends on your definition of cool.. but yes they big, tough, interesting fish... you could call then the Fonz of the aquaruim world :wink:

I think you will end up with two tanks, one for the Oscars and a couple of other big 'guy' fish (plecos or clown loachs maybe). And a 2nd tank with plants, a heap of neons, guppies and 'pretty' fish for the G/F. Plan on doing that now and things will be much smoother ;)

Cheers

Ian

Ian

my O,s favorite game is to grab hold of fake plants and swim of with them til thry pull out so would hate to think what he would do with real plants hes in a 500 l tank with elec yellows blue zebras bumble bees and lion heads and they all get on fine hes awsome more like a dog than a fish .

i have a small rc submarine which he loves to chase around the tank

hes about 25cm a real character

I just wish they could have more in tank company. Cos I hate the idea of lonely fish. I say that cos the smart fish always seem needy, watching you, waiting for you to feed them!

The bumble bee is quite a small fish aye? But no trouble from the oscars?

The Lion is what kind of fish. When people talk about breeds I'm not familiar with I go hunting and the only fish I found were the oranda (mutant goldfish) or the marine Lionfish...

The idea of these guys being sociable with other fish is encouraging. I considered them a one-or-all-the-others situation.

She doesn't like the frilly fish like the Siamese Fighters. I think she likes flashey stripey things like discus. She was quite taken with a knifefish(?) we saw at animates and even thought the spiney eels were kinda neat.

You should be OK with Oscars and a knife fish together. A couple of bigger plecos or other bigger cats/loaches makes for an interesting tank. But dont plan on having real plants in there. You can put 6 small oscars in that tank OK, but you will need to re home some as they grow. If you want to breed the Oscars you probably need a seperate tank just for them though. Be aware that Knife fish do grow BIG too.

You know you are going to end up with multiple tanks ;) You can set up a basic 3-4ft tank pretty cheap, simple tank, heater, filter etc. Just gives you the options to seperate fish and breeding pairs.

Cheers

Ian

I'd go with only 2 Oscars in a tank that size. Mine were in a 1840x600x680 (approx 680L) tank and it was only just big enough for them really. They grow pretty fast and within a year you'll need to start re-homing them if you get 6.

I'd go with any of the fish mentioned. You could also add some Chocolate Cichlids, Nicaraguan's, Geophagus or other similar large cichlids as well (but no too many). I even had my Borneo Tigers in with the Oscars for a while and they were fine (the biggest problem was feeding time - the Oscars would always beat the Tigers to the food). They main emhasis is having other fish that are quite big as well. If it will fit in it's mouth, it's food. Even if it's close to fitting in it's mouth they will usually have a go. Oscars are one of the smartest fish. Give them something to do. Drop whole worms in the tank, - one at one end and another at the other end etc. Add a ping-pong ball for them to chase around. Anything to give them something to do. And try not to let then breed (I think 2 males are best - females fight (I could be wrong on this one, can't remember)) as you'll end up with 1000-2000 baby Oscars...

My oscar is in a 460L with a severum, three silver dollars, a plec, a red tail shark (he was a rescue and would have been eaten if my O wasnt placid) and soon to be a synodontis. Other good companions if your oscar will allow it (some wont allow tank mates) are jack dempsies, firemouths, acaras, raphaels etc. Most new worlds do ok along with the larger cats. Giant danios or silver dollar are sometimes used to liven things up a bit. Oscars arent really the agro fish people think they are so there are a heap of tankmate options if you want to add some others depending on tank size.

Like warren said 400L is really only best for two alone, perhaps a smaller plec, i wouldnt push your luck with big fish that can do damage just incase they decide to turn serial killer on another fish and its not an uncommon thing.

Also i wouldnt attempt to get a breeding pair. If you get a pair you cant have anything else at all in that tank. And if buying juvenilies be aware they do go thru puberty and can get a bit wierd during that time. Anything from digging and moving things to attempting to kill anything in or near the tank.

Oscars do require alot of room, but thats because theyre big messy fish but i wouldnt swap mine for anything. Hes defiantly one of the family and just as interactive as a dog :) You wont be dissapointed if you do decide to go ahead with them

Got 4 silver shark today - a compromise on 6.

I went a bit mad at the beach collecting large driftwood. Made for an interesting environ but the best looking piece was just starting to rot so removed.

th_logs.jpg

I got a fright when the logs had been for about 30 min- 1hr when something plopped off the underside of the water from the log while i was talking on the phone! I had a look and a gigantic earwig was swimming his way up to the surface. Earwigs are quite bouyant if you never knew.. :) He sat on the tippy-top and wiggled about looking for a rescue helicopter.

th_earwig.jpg

That's photos of him/her in a big beer stein. At least 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches long. Creepage!

th_tank1.jpg

Tank as it's set up. Member/s Tsarmina helped out moving the tank and provided a good lot of cabomba and some other leafy plant (I've forgotten what it's name was). Positioned all cabomba at left to catch direct sunlight and hopefully curb algae growth.

I don't think my stones are any good. Fine for plants but if I have eel down the track I'd have to fine some less gravelly stuff. Maybe I will be able to just give them an area of more sandy secluded tank that they can dig in... That's a ways off but - have to see how racey these sharks are first.

Oh and big ups to Ben down at Lower Hutt Pets. He has been really helpful with fish types and gears. And I didn't even have to buy everything in the shop! (although my wallet sure felt like I did!)