Fish with no tail....

aquab

I cleaned my canister filter a couple of days ago and found an electric yellow Swimming in the third "area" :o Was very surprised it was alive, must be a hardy one (thanks Malawiman aka Kribkrazy)!! :D

My question is it's tail has fallen off!! Didn't have much of one when i got it out but then it went white( poss tail rot??) and fell off and now it has a curve in it's body where it was ( Like a small shark took a bite out). it's still eating and swimming but staying at the bottom of the tank.

It's in with two angels and 2 bristlenoses. Didn't want to put it in my main tank as thought it would be eaten because it can't move fast enough!!

Gave it's tank a dose of stress coat when i put it in there but want to know if it will survive or should i put it out of it's misery..??

Don't want to but don't want it suffering either

Any advice welcome!!!

If it has been eaten right back to the stump.. as in right where the body meets the tail, more than likely it won't grow back, it may well survive tho if it heals.. if it is just tail loss as in chewed back a bit it will grow back. If it is however gone right back into the flesh (base of tail) it might be best to put him/her down. I had a friend who had one like that and it survived however once put back in with other Malawi, it comes down to survival of the fittest and it certainly got picked on so not very kind on the fish at all.