I suppose I should say hello

brett

As you might notice from the time log I'm typing while you're sleeping.I work niteshift but it gives me time to play all day while you're working so it's not all bad.I didn't know about this forum but it looks really interesting.I've kept freshwater tropicals for a lot of years now and still enjoy them but am now wanting to go marine. I have kept local fish before but usually put them back when summer arrives as they get too warm so the plan is to use a bigger tank and more aggressive circulation to save the loss of the beer fridge as a chiller. Look forward to learning from experienced aquarists.

Thanks guys you sure make someone feel welcome.I have 10 or so smaller tanks in storage at the moment and a 6' trop.freshwater community tank in the lounge.The fishroom lost out to the woodlathe a couple of years ago as the shavings started getting into everything but it's going to be returning some time in the future.I have kept tropicals since I was about 10 and I'm 45 now but I still feel like I'm 10 when I see something new.I have bred angels,gouramis and some cichlids from my "rogues" phase as well as the usual live- bearers[how do you stop them] and am keeping lace gouramis,platies and silver tip tetras now. My experience with local marine life is limited but that's the way I'm headed now with a nearly completed home built tank of about 900 litres-2.35m long, 45cm wide and 85cm tall.Haven't built the skimmer yet but think I can get some acrylic tube cheaply or I'll maybe use perspex box section.

LOL so you have been in fish keeping where I am sort of heading :)

At the moment I am considering getting some lace gouramis for my tank with the angels in. Also maybe for the discus tank as a couple of gouramis seem to give the discus confidence to hang out the front more. Lovely fish.

Aha wood turning. I have a dear wood turning g/f in Waipara and you probably know of her for she annually travels to timaru for the woodturning thing. A small world indeed.