Filter Help

sub.z

Think a sump filter is having another tank set up with a trickle system filtration with bioballs, filter wool, etc. But you will need an overflow of some sort on your tank.

eg. p_rd_22840_30497.jpg

The link you gave is to a cannister filter. You will need two of those filters to get enough filtration. For the price of two of those, you'd be better off getting an Fluval FX5 from hollywoods.

Ill either go for the Fluval fx5 or 405 depending on funds

Does anyone know what there are like for noise?

E.g Louder than a pump? Ive already got 2 small filters and 2 pumps in then lounge and dont want too much more

Is gravel vacs still needed with either of these filters?

yes gravel vacs are needed to clean the substrate although i'm not that sure about the FX5. i know its easy to do water changes with it, as there is a hose that you turn a tap on and send the dirty water into a bucket or out a window.

you can message purplecatfish to find out about how quiet the filter is. although we couldn't hear it running when we were at his house last, it may be a different story at night when people are trying to sleep (which seems unlikely).

Hi There,

I run an FX5 on one of my 6x2x2 tanks and it is in the lounge.

I also run a sump in the lounge and both are quiet tho the FX5 is quietest of both.

You still need to buy media for FX5 on top of sale price but ease of use outways this imo.

You wil still need to Vax gravel as Fish poo goes down and into gravel then is broken down into particles that are in water. Over time you will remove all the poo but not before water quality is effected/affected and fish suffer ( and it looks crappy, pardon the pun) if you dont Vax.

HTH

Navarre