Turtle shell changing - help please

Gatito

I got my turtle in early Feb, and when i got him his shell was a mottled bronze/black colour with hardly any markings (stripes etc), as shown below:

shellbefore.jpg

From about a month/6 weeks ago he has been slowly shedding his shell, and it was looking very dark/black underneath. But that dark colour is developing into a greeny colour, and markings are developing. This pic is from tonight, with flash:

shellafter.jpg

Question being: is this ok - is this normal/healthy? He had some little spots of soft shell when i got him (about pin-head size or smaller - you can see in the first pic) that are gone now. But all this shedding and colour change has me worried... It looks healthy to me, but i could have no idea.

Hopefully the pics can help any turtle buffs out there shed some light for me

good on u gatito, its looking so much better than before but still some way to go. looking at the brightness of it's "red ear" its reasonably young so the shell should be a lot brighter green.

from the second pic its side of the shell is already curved in which is caused by poor diet, up keep and maybe not enough living space. unfortunately its so common to an extent where ppl think its normal. to avoid this progressing avoid really fatty foods [ just because the turtle like to eat it doesn't mean its good for it] and just keep doin what u do which seem to be a good job. :D

good on u gatito, its looking so much better than before but still some way to go. looking at the brightness of it's "red ear" its reasonably young so the shell should be a lot brighter green.

from the second pic its side of the shell is already curved in which is caused by poor diet, up keep and maybe not enough living space. unfortunately its so common to an extent where ppl think its normal. to avoid this progressing avoid really fatty foods [ just because the turtle like to eat it doesn't mean its good for it] and just keep doin what u do which seem to be a good job. :D

Thanks fishboi, it's such a drastic change (for me) in just a few months, i'm really pleased.

Yeah i noticed that on the sides of the shell, wasn't sure if it was normal. Will that sort itself out as he grows? Or is the damage done?

He is now fed sometimes with store-bought frozen turtle food (when i'm lazy - i think it's the one made by hothouse turtles or similar? i buy it from HFF Mt Roskill), and when i'm on top of things i blend ox heart and lots of veges and sometimes banana together, then freeze it in little chunks. He also gets Wardley turtle pellets and a few Hothouse Turtles river shrimp at each meal.

Thanks fishboi, it's such a drastic change (for me) in just a few months, i'm really pleased.

Yeah i noticed that on the sides of the shell, wasn't sure if it was normal. Will that sort itself out as he grows? Or is the damage done?

its quit a big turn around in such a short time, a lucky turtle for sure, unfortunately the damage is done but don't worry as it will not effect its health as long as it doesn't progress. if given the right diet which u are and enough living space it's shell will start growing outwards again but will always look a little "pinched" from above.

is it a girl or boy? hard saying "it" all the time :lol:

u will read red eared sliders a more carnival when young and more herbivore when older although true its better to just feed 50/50 if u can. try braking a bit of carrot into the tank and see if it gets eaten. [carrot sinks which is handy]