Big Water change

bulldogod

My Africans always got 50% water changes (when I got around to doing water changes). Not only that but they were from the garden hose hauled through the window. The fish didn't seem to mind the change in pH or temperature and liked to play in the strong current from the trigger gun attachment on the end of the hose.

i do about 40% changes every week on both african & community tanks although I did a 85% water change last weekend by mistake. I put the syphon in the tank & pipe out the window & left it as it takes a while to syphon 80L. I went off to rinse the wet/dry filter pads, got talking to my son about something then realised what was still happening. Rushed back to find my two large angels in just enough water to cover their heads. Phew disaster diverted. :oops:

Hi Bulldog. Go for it. You shouldn't encounter any problems. Malawis are hardy fish. Ive been known to do 100% water changes (fish caught and put in buckets) with no evident effect to the fish. Not sure about the temperature change though as Ive always filled my tanks with water around the 26 degrees mark.