Gardneri Nigeriatum

Aaron-Betta

Hey there, I didn't actually intend it too happen, but I am pretty sure my trio have had eggs. Originally I had them in a tank with a bristlenose and some plants and fruitsalad stones. I emptied the whole tank yesterday trying to get rid of a snail infestation. I put the killis back into the now bare tank without the plants, stones and bristlenose. I was hoping to sort them out today but when I went to look at the tank I saw what I thought to be 3 eggs on the ground, now there are around 12 and I am wanting to know what to do next as this is my first time (Killi Virgin)

I am thinking that the complete water change might have made them spawn.

Also how are these guys supposed to spawn? via mop or peat?

wow, things happen fast when you aren't watching. After finding the eggs and typing the previous post I went back to the tank to find more of them, around 30 now. :o:o

I so wasn't wanting this right now as I have just had 4 spawns of fighters.... must be something in the water. ( I only drink bottled water luckily!)

As you are a killie(virgin) I'll be gentle.

Use an airline and syphon off the eggs, and put the eggs into it and floating a container, (ice-cream) using the same water.

Now put a thin layer of you gravel, after it has been boiled, into the bottom of the tank, this will act as a protection for more eggs that will be laid, and you can easily retrieve these eggs using a gravel vac.

Eggs should hatch in about 14 days, maybe sooner, depending on the temperature.

If your house is warm, the container could be kept in the lounge, usually the warmest, and watch the progress from there.

Amazingly, you can watch these little fellas progress right from a clear egg thru to two little black spots, eyes, through to a wriggling little fish trying to break out from its tiny prison.

Or you could set them up on damp peat and then add water to the peat in 21 days and have them all hatch out at the same time.

Now you can see why I have been so enthralled with these little fellas for over quarter of a century. Also in the same club, NZKA, for that period of time.

Now I hope for a certain member that use to belong to this forum, that now only comes in as HIDDEN, will see that I do share my knowledge, as I have done so over the years.

I have just done the mad dash down to the LFS and picked up some peat.

Next barrage of newbie questions:

-Does the success rate of hatching a M/F ratio differ from hatching in water and hatching on damp peat?

-How does one boil peat and why? is it as simple as boiling it on a pot on the stove?

-are they temperature sensitive? currently in a tank that has a heater set to around 24-26 degrees, if i was to bring them inside and keep them without a heater would it be ok?

You're up early Barrie!!

-Does the success rate of hatching a M/F ratio differ from hatching in water and hatching on damp peat?

-How does one boil peat and why? is it as simple as boiling it on a pot on the stove?

-are they temperature sensitive? currently in a tank that has a heater set to around 24-26 degrees, if i was to bring them inside and keep them without a heater would it be ok?

From what I have seen with the sex ratio thing is it is not the storage on peat or water hatching methods, which is used to ensure that all the babies are the same age, as they all hatch at the same time on peat.

But what does affect them is the temperature.

If the eggs are stored high in the fishroom, they'll be warmer than stored at floor level.

This method of placement is used by some of our breeders to get more males than females.

There is more value in males to the LFS, although if I'm selling to the LFS I always do pairs, and insist on it, and also cash in hand, NOT credit.

You should be able to spend your money where you want to, not be forced to take the shops items in exchange.

You can't buy new species with a handful of flake food.

Yes the simple method.

But make sure the wife or mother, or partner understands that you will clean up after you have finished.

It cuts done the volatility of the peat and also sterilises it.

It depends like I said, what the temperature is inside the house.

Find the warmest room and go from there.

I have put them in about an inch of water spread out through a chinese takeaway container which is floating in a tank to keep them warm. Hopefully 26-28 degrees isn't too warm. I also noticed when seperating them that there is a really fine string between some of them.

Umm... next questions:

- How long until they start to form?

- How often will the trio spawn if left together?

- A question from my partner was How big do they get? we have golden Australe and Gardneri Nigeriatum.

By the way, sorry for all the questions but I didnt actually plan for them to spawn as I usually research alot before committing to breeding something. :roll:

With both I usually allow them to spawn for 3 days to a week depending on their productivity then seperate them to allow conditioning for a few weeks before repeating. Killies are pretty hard drivers and the females need a rest and some good feeding up in my opinion or they just get thrashed.

- How long until they start to form?

>> This depends on how old the eggs really are and the temp, as Alan said they should hatch in 10-14 days from being layed.

- How often will the trio spawn if left together?

All the time non stop. The amount of eggs you will get depends on how well you feed the females.

- A question from my partner was How big do they get? we have golden Australe and Gardneri Nigeriatum.

>>Golden Australe around 4-5cm

Gardneri Nigeriatum around 6cm

thanks heaps for all your help. Had 2 days of eggs (first day had around 20 and the second day there were lots on the ground, but by the time i had boiled some more peat and cooled it enough, I went abck and only had 3) but they seemed to have had a day off today not one of them seems interested in food though, they usually like mozzie larvae but they havn't touched them and it isn't pleasant to open the garage door in the morning to be attacked by hungry mozzies. I have tried flake and bloodworms but they just leave it and let it rot on the bottom. Thinking about splitting them up for a while.

I think the eggs have gone to waste though as it wasn't till today that I was reading on another site that you should store the eggs on the damp peat in an opaque container whereas I had mine in a clear container so I didn't have to open it all the time to check on them (yes I am nosey being that its my first killi eggs) I am also guessing my lack of methyline blue (what a time to run out!) has something to do with the few that are growing funguses.

I stuffed the container into a draw for a few days, but i'm not holding my breath waiting for them to hatch. Hopefully I will be more prepared next time as I wasn't expecting them to spawn at all. (have a trio of golden australe in a tank by themselves with no action)

Hopefully it will give me a bit of time to tend to my growing collection of fighters (now have 6x 29L breeding tanks, 1 aquaone plastic tank for the australes, 1 50L for the garneri trio, 3 tall 2 foot grow out tanks-also home to my bristlenose trio, and recently a 3 foot tank yet to be set up. )