Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another question for electro boffins

Featured Replies

Need advice I'm wanting to set something up that will keep the tank going in the event of a power cut if nobody around.

The biggest risk is overheating as in summer the room the tank is in commonly reaches 35 degrees. What I want is some kind of setup, possibly run from a car battery, that will run a fan, plus an air pump. I need something that will detect if the power goes off, and immediately activate an air pump, there would be some air stones in the tank and this would provide enough circulation to keep things ticking over for a few hours. Also it would need to detect tank temperature and turn on a fan if need be. Of course the lights would not be on so just one fan ought to do it.

The thing is the whole set up needs to be reasonably budget, I don't have the money to set up a fully automated set up with a generator etc. If I could just have an air pump, plus a fan that is temperature controlled, that will probably keep most problems at bay for a few hours if I wasn't home.

PM me next week. I'm away with work all weekend in Auckland. I can help you out with some of this at a really good price (like $20 for battery and fan)!! You'll still need a fan and relay etc but i can help you with that as well.

Will be able to work on it for you when I get back.

Heck Wasp - ya must have too much time on your hands to worry about what might go wrong.

Now ya got me worrying too - just when I thought I had my tank running 'sweet'! :lol:

why not try a UPS? a reasonable one will only cost about $150-$200 and would run a small air pump and a small fan for ages (about 4hrs or more)

having said that Warren's idea sounds very interesting. and cheap, i would be intrested to hear how that works.

If you have a power cut for up to 12 hours that should not be a problem.

We have had power cuts for up to 8 hours and the tank had no problems.

  • Author

On a hot day it might, the office gets so hot I can't even work up here sometimes.

UPS could be a goer, I could rig it to my existing fans via the temp controller. Simple! :D

Only thing would be how to tell the air pump to come on when the power goes off? Anyhow i'll see what Warren comes up with.

Often the cheap ideas have merit, because they are the ones the poorer classes like myself can actually afford to do! :D

Good Thinking we spend all this money on our tanks such a large investment. Some very good information here. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/poweroutagefaqs.htm

Im sure I seen battery powered air pumps at HFF?

Reef do the IKS or other computers have a function for power outage?

Its a interesting subject

But one of the best investments for a tanks well being is a quarantine tank, Why do I say this? Because I"ve just lost all my fish to MV :cry:

This wont happen again. I hope everyone can learn from my lesson because when these things get in your tank it really to late.

Sorry to get off topic

  • Author

WOW! Sorry to hear that Sharkey!

You're not the only one there's a couple of other guys lost their fish in the last few weeks, also, they think, to MV. Maybe a batch came into the country recently.

Good link BTW

Fax sent. It only covers running the fan but a 12V airpump needs only be connected to the same place as the fan in the circuit to get air as well.

Not sure if you can get 12V airpumps...

The drawing is a bit rough. If I get time I could do a proper CAD drawing of the circuit and post it.

As some 230V connections are required only qualified people should actually attempt to make the circuit...

  • Author

Well here it is, didn't come through the best on the fax. You may wish to post a better one Warren.

Well thought out though, and certainly cheap! :D

IMAGE0001.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.