Sump vs External filters???????????

aae1

Hi guys. In the process of setting up my tank (1400+ litres) but unsure what way to go in regard to filtration. :-? Some of my Malawis and my 6 pack of Fronts are going to be the new occupants and are getting impaitent. :D Would be keen on any feedback as to whether I should go for a sump or external filters. Thanks for any sugestions that you may have.

Yeah. I have a concrete floor so that aint a prob. The tanks getting a new lid so its hole drilling time. Decisions, decisions :-? Once its in place it aint going to be going anywhere so I wanna to get it right first time. Ive already got 4 new 1200lph filters but that isnt a problem. If I dont use them on this tank I can always get 4 more tanks :lol: (Don't tell my wife!!!) :wink:

:lol: You're secret is safe with us

We have 2 x Aquis 2400 externals running on our Fron tank, they are brilliant. They each do 2400 litres per hour. One filter alone is suitable for a 800 litre tank.

And doing things right the first time is a definate when you have such a big tank to play with huh, we have yet to shuffle ours forward eventually to wallpaper... :roll: Joy :lol:

I would definaly go with a sump

Over all its alot easier to work on

The Aquis filters are great but I wouldnt reccomended them for a 800litre tank though

I know they say that but all filter company's will over compensate alittle

Get yourself a decent 3ft sump and set it up properly and you will never look back at a canister for a big tank

Brad

i have an aquis 2400 filter , with a via aqua 650 on for a bit of extra .

on my 6ft tank .

but i have a big sump ,which i am going to eventually set up up ,when i get all the plumbing i need , been saying that for the past 4 months !

i like the idea of sump as you can hide all the gears in there ,heaters ,etc,making more room in the tank

Afrikan depending on the size of your sump it wont make that much difference to the weight

All my sumps run with a minimum of water generally in the smaller sumps (3ft) they would approx 50litres

Over all your 2 aquis wont be much lighter then that

Brad

Just to give you guys a little bit more info. The tank is 8ft x 3ft x 2ft. I was thinking of putting 2 sumps into it and pluming 1/2 the tank to one sump and the other 1/2 to the other sump as it could be a little difficult getting a 3-4 foot tank into the stand. This would also give me a bit of a saftey factor if I ever had a pump failure. Does this make sense??? :-?

It does make sense to have 2pumps going but I dont think you need 2 sumps

On my 10ft display tanks I run 3ft sumps Both of which have 2 pumps in them so even if 1 pump dies the filter will continue long enough to allow me to replace the dodgy pump

Brad

Hi

I think most people set their sums up to suit themselves but follow the "rules" to a certain extent. This is what I do and may be improved upon by others with more knowledge.

My tanks where possible all have sumps.

They are generally all predrilled with up to an inch hole. I usually make sure all my fittings are brought first and use common plumbing style fittings so that they are easily replaceable.

All my plumbing is hard plumbed but with "screw" type joiners so that it can be removed if I need to change pumps move tank etc.

So hole drilled, glass weir is glued in place and then bulkheads fitted to holes. Pipes from bulkheads to t section to sump.

In sump you can arrange media in a huge variety of ways. I usually use compartments of different media that water flows over or under to be "cleaned", before going into a chamber that holds both my pump and heater. It is importatnt to make sure that the heaters are below the minimum water level and I always try for submersible heaters.

The pump delivers water thru a return pipe which can go "up and over" or be drilled and plumbed in to the tank. If you do this you need to make sure that you have some way to stop water returning to your sump so that it doesnt overflow.

Some people use a "prefilter" in their weir and this is easily replaced so that most large particles and the odd fish can be removed quickly....lol

The ideal "sump" is above the tank and uses a pump to push water up to it then gravity to return it to the tank. This means it power etc goes of then no over flowing water and no need to drill tank.

HTH

Navarre

The ideal "sump" is above the tank and uses a pump to push water up to it then gravity to return it to the tank. This means it power etc goes of then no over flowing water and no need to drill tank.
That doesn't really make sense, because you'd have to have a lower water level in the tank to make room for the extra when the sump is turned off. Also you wouldn't get the benefit of having an increased volume of water from having a large sump sitting under the tank, and lastly I'd much rather have a small weir and a hole in the back of the tank than a big ugly pump sitting in there.

Sump is the best way to filter a big tank, period. Anything 4' and over I set up will have a sump. So easy to clean, can get a massive volume of media in there (compaired to a canister), and you can also get rid of ugly heaters etc in the tank.

If you can't fit one big sump under your tank then two smaller ones would be a good idea. Work out how much water they'll need to hold (usually around the footprint of the tank X 1" plus a bit for in the pipes etc). If weight isn't an issue, then bigger is better, more water = good.

I've got both my sumps made up by Hollywood, but that won't help you iuf you're in wellington. Any decent tank builder should be able to make one, mine cost around $140.

Sump is best.

One place I used to work had the sump above the tank, it was hidden well.

I would say easiest is under the tank.

As for design, well there are heaps of ways really. I myself prefer not to have a weir.

If you after designs for the sump itself, maybe members can post pics of theirs.

I don't use a sump myself yet. :lol: Brad should be able to get a photo of one of his at work. Simple layout, works really well. I saw a really nice one at a friends place tonight. But if you are cramped for room, be no good. He had a section added for extra bacteria growth, looked cool.

Frenchy :D