My angels Bred!!!!!!!!!

firefish

Now for the second time my angels have spawned+! unfortunatly the first time the parents ate their eggs before I got up the next morning. So last night when I noticed that they had spawned again I thought to myself not to get too over the moon, like last time, cos I thought that the parents would have eaten them . But this morning I got up as fast as possible and luckily the parents didn't eat their eggs.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I have noticed that between last night with the eggs being opaque and now 90 ( I was bored :lol: ) of them are now white. Does this mean they have been fertilised properly????

If this spawning works out it will be my first ever breeding!!!

Angels may do this for several spawns until they get it right. They may also always eat them so try to add a bit of slate or something for them to hopefully spawn on next time then remove the eggs and raise them without the parents.

Just because you have 2 angels and one has laid eggs, doesn't necessarily mean you have a pair. It may be 2 females. :-?

Unfortunetly today I looked at the tank again around dinner time, and saw that all the eggs had been eaten since the last time I'd looked

Angels... like many Cichlids, have an instinct about the "quality" of the brood they are producing.. and (with the Angels).. they will wallop the lot off if they think that they are not up to scratch.

They will also (if they are good parents).. remove all the infertile eggs.. (the white ones).. and as above (as Caryl points out).. you can get two females laying like clockwork.. but of course all the eggs will be white and infertile.

If you "do" have a pair... then it is well worth waiting to see if the parents will eventually rear a decent batch.. as it's a sight you never forget. :)

I wrote this some time ago... might help a bit if you get a moment to read it.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/bre ... ngels.html

Bill.

The first time that they spawned I was lucky enough to see them in action and it looked like they were both doing a different thing.

I have 5 angels, these 2 have paired off, Would they choose each other if they were both females?

That article was very interesting, I had a feeling it would take a while for the parents to raise a batch of eggs, but maybe next time they might let them get into wriggler stage.

I think I will get a piece of slate, cos every time they spawn its always on the filter and when I need to clean it out.

I have 5 angels, these 2 have paired off, Would they choose each other if they were both females?

The only "sure" way to know is to look and see if you can spot "any" wrigglers... even one will do.. then you know you have a pair :)

I always found that a bit of plastic Marley pipe about 40mm diam propped up at a 45deg angle in the tank corner did the trick every time.

It's easy to clean.. easy to remove if things look bad... and is like a magnet to the fish.. as I would almost guarantee that they will take to it as soon as they are ready to spawn. :)

Best bit is... that if they are in good condition, they will spawn every ten days.. but always give them a break after a couple of batches.. it takes a lot out of them.

You might be wondering "why" they choose the filter..

They are pretty smart when it comes to rearing young.. and because the eggs need a constant flow around them.. (which the parents normally provide).. they choose the filter area because of the water flow around that area... so if you use a pipe as above... prop it in the filter corner if you can.

Bill.

• 4 months later...
If you "do" have a pair... then it is well worth waiting to see if the parents will eventually rear a decent batch.. as it's a sight you never forget. :)

I wrote this some time ago... might help a bit if you get a moment to read it.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/bre ... ngels.html

Bill.

Just had a read, (not that I'm into breeding angels) nice article! I loved your ending hehehe :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

LOL Pegasus. I loved your article, and it was really informative. I came here today to ask how to get angel fry from that new free swimmer stage....to 'fish' stage. Our angels have bred frequently, but only on three or four occassions did we try to encourage it and provide them with their own tank with the view to raising fry. We are pretty clueless though. They do the deed....wrigglers appear....then they break away and we end up with a clutch of free swimmers....then they die....or disappear.....

I suspect from reading your article we have taken the parents away too soon. We have done so as they appear to eat the babies, but maybe they are just collecting them to reposition them? We have had free swimming angel babies, fed on liquifry (have still to learn how to breed and feed brine shrimp successfully and generally only feed forzen brine shrimp) and the angel babies have appeared to be doing well and swimming strongly...only to disappear (dead?) It is frustrating. We would like to give our babies the best possible chance....to sell enough to cover our fish food costs!

any pointers would be gratefully accepted as we are thinking of trying again when we next set up a breeding tank. Oh...have also found fitration to be a bit of a pain....babies are so easily sucked into a filter inlet. Was wondering if an under gravel filter might be more helpful? I have had one of those hang on the side water overflow things (cascade?) and not thought it did anything to actually filter the rubbish....but....I am keen for more knowledge. :hail:

Thanks

P.S. Bought the CUTEST little killie fish the other day on trademe.....have never had killies before so this is a real novelty. They have such cool personalities!