May 3, 200719 yr comment_160606 K, I'm tired of crushing aquarium med pills that are big enough for a horse with a teaspoon and bowl or sweeping up bits when I get bored and try using a hammer. Does anyone have or recommend a good mortar and pestle which I can easily wash and remove any remnants of meds? Stone - Tough as nails and will hardly wear down and never break - but would I get cross contamination? Expensive. Ceramic/Earthware - Easily cleaned, but are they strong enough? I can easily imagine breaking something like this. Cheapest alternative. Marble - Seems like the right choice to me as it's tough and smooth. Pricey. Wood - Well, if I can carve it, it probably won't stand the test of time. I assume it wouldn't prevent cross contamination any better than stone. So what do you all recommend or have sitting on your shelf at home? I'm not an herbalist or gourmet chef, so it doesn't have to look good as long as it does the part. ...and of course, where to get it Report
May 3, 200719 yr comment_160608 I got mine at Pak N Save. Marble, I think it was something like $10. Not exactly expensive. Report
May 3, 200719 yr comment_160661 you can get the marble one's at the warehouse for about $12 i had one untill i recived another larger one as a gift at xmas time they work well i used mine to crush the ph down till i stoped using it Report
May 3, 200719 yr comment_160666 i use wood, my is made of Lignum Vitae and cost just over $40 which is pretty cheap for what it is. had my for just over 2 years and i use it on a weekly basis and its still like new. Report
May 10, 200719 yr comment_161974 Buy the "marble" it's not really marble. They are cheap as chips, last forever and are non-porous. But they are not very good for grinding, they are too slippery. You have to use them to crush. That's ok for pills, but lousy for a decent curry! Report
May 10, 200719 yr comment_161988 what about a pill crusher, vets should have them. Easy to clean and cheap. Report
May 11, 200719 yr comment_162084 They are used for crushing pills and then mixing in with dog/cat food. Very handy. Great for making your own fry food. Report
May 11, 200719 yr comment_162098 Buy the "marble" it's not really marble. They are cheap as chips, last forever and are non-porous. But they are not very good for grinding, they are too slippery. You have to use them to crush. That's ok for pills, but lousy for a decent curry! Hmm, mine's not very slippery. Works well enough for turning flake into dust for fish fry anyway. Report
May 12, 200719 yr comment_162300 You can also get the pill crusher from some pharmacies- they are used for people too! I have a ceramic mortar & pestle - thought I was the only one who ground up flake in it! :oops: Report
May 12, 200719 yr comment_162360 what about a pill crusher, vets should have them. Easy to clean and cheap. Absolutely get one of these they are they best thing since sliced meds Report
May 16, 200719 yr comment_162993 You could also buy one of those very sexy "Flavour Shakers" as seen on TV and used by Jamie Oliver. Buy one now for only 22 pounds and I'll throw in a set of steak knives! Report
May 16, 200719 yr comment_163017 Ahh the thinks we get up to with our mortars and pestles.. I use mine to crush chicken pellets to feed to little 'peeps' Obviously they need to start selling these at pet stores!!! Report
May 18, 200719 yr comment_163431 The tablet crushers are excellent, i work in a pharmacy dispensary and they do a good job! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.