bulk Turtle food at a reasonable price

Any ideas ?? from the analysis of the contents, it looks like many other foods that are available but is 2 to 3 times the price for the same quantity, with 10 turtles to feed, and short arms and long pockets (not to mention the Gorse) it seems like the turtles can eat better than me !!! I do feed mince, heart, plant, snails, and if they are quick enough and I am not watching -mosquito fish (and most of mine if not all are too slow), I have a baby one that is quite crazy about trout crumble and will eat that in preference to anything else incl meat but it is quite fatty, so come on, give up the secrets to those of us that are always on the look out for a bargain, then want free delivery, perks, etc Graeme

Yo Graeme, my ones climb over one another to get their meal.

I feed mine any birds that have been caught by the cats, rats and mice also.

But their staple diet is unsalted pilchards.

Mine are stored in the freezer, and while still frozen, I cut them up into bite sizes, defrost them, then sprinkle the pieces onto the area outside their pond.

They love it.

I get it from the "Iceman" who is on the wharf down here.

But if I run short, I get it from Pak-n-save and pay a few cents more.

They are frozen whole as they come out of the water Graeme, and yes everthing goes.

When they eat, say a blackbird, all you would see of their feast woud be a few feathers from the ends of the wings.

Natural way to feed them calcium.

don't think I would like my toes near your turtles, I think I have only one or two that would be strong enough to eat that sort of thing, quite a few of mine have been neglected and are quite small, two of them were like babies and were over 2 yrs old when I got them, guess I just spoil them though, I will find some fish up here and give it a go, tks

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, read that, apparently better to soak a little first, and I must admit, I have tried it before but with only mixed results, suspect it could be better for large adult turtles who will eat anything that even looks like food, younger ones and damaged ones seem to be far more fussey, of course there are lots of different types, might have tried the wrong one, might give it a go again.

Another thing that came up was salmon pellets, apparently a little different to trout pellets, couple of shops local that have them on special, I might try them too

hI Graeme

we have 40+ red ears, 10 snakenecks and six reeves, we feed oxheart, fish and kitten cat biscuits (biskats) soaked in water for 10 mins to soften.

to get turtles eating them use the red ones and feed in amongst some oxheart, seems to get them going, thanks for the tip on pillies have a local baitman who can supply, cheers mark