Fish keepers club...

ajbroome

FNZAS folks,

I wonder if there is a place, in this day and age, for a club for people who aren't able or willing to join a local (to them) club? Perhaps the FNZAS should think about offering 'affiliate' type memberships so people can get the Aquarium World, club discounts, etc?

There is the danger that this might draw people away from local clubs which need all the support they can get and could therefore result in the creation of a NZ-wide club, doing essentially what the Federation is doing now. Is it worth the risk? Can the Federation do this without a major change to the constitution? Does anyone care?

Something to ponder over the weekend...

Andrew, looking into the can and wondering what the squiggly things are...

after some thought I think that making another club for those who don't want to join club is sort of pointless....................A good idea I think and I would be so very interested in seeing if anyone would take the opportunity to simply join FNZAS were it possible. :wink:

you will never be able to please everybody (refer to aesops fable of the man, boy and donkey) :-?

The FNZAS - even at my low low wage I manage to find the $15p.a. for my own club membership (which includes automatically includes membership to FNZAS).

Some folk just do not wish to pay even a cent. Be it to belong to a fish organisation or anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! such is their natures.

To date I have only found fun and helpful pple. Because of my isolation I cannot attend any meetings :cry: and just manage to attend the annual tank parade which is a fun event and fun learning curve for me (by carefully planning and saving). It is so nice for me to be able to put faces to names and see their tanks and fish. I come home inspired enough for another year. Hopefully I impart a little enthusiasm to others at the same time.

Our local 'club' is not a club that has subs or secretary. We gather monthly and meet at a home of a 'member'. Talk fish etc for a couple of hours, share problems and successes, again enthusiasm is generated. However I have noted that a lot of work is put in by the same few ppl (not me LOL ) - letting everyone know of meeting dates, circulating the e.mail letter of what has happened and what is happening To those ppl a huge vote of THANKS & APPRECIATION - I do ask at the same time if it is fair??????? For it seems that in all areas of life some do the graft, many benefit, a few are always too busy to input and horrors some just come to benefit and seemingly give nothing. Is this not true throughout all life???

Ok you may now tear me to shreds for being frank and open, just take good care of my fishies please LOL.

Cheers to the FNZAS and the folk who give generously of their time and efforts to help those of us just beginning in this hobby. We may not like everyone we met or hold the same opinions.(we would be unnatural if we did) however we have one thing in common.............a LOVE for fish keeping and the fish.

OK OK i will now put my soap box away and give Ira a big hug ...........see he does not like discus and I love love them .........we are still kindred spirits though and both like the hard working bristlenose catfish :D

Husband Grant just pointed out that Marlborough is, in effect, doing what Andrew suggests. We now have 11 members who live elsewhere (one is actually in Texas USA) as full members, not 'affiliates'. This is almost half our membership! Although they cannot attend meetings they do get club newsletters (we email the majority so postage cost is low) full of helpful information, and the Aquarium World. It also gives them the FNZAS discount card.

Goldie is right, many take a lot without giving in return and it is always a few who do the work while others sit back. The only time we hear from them is if they don't like what is being done, or isn't being done. This happens everywhere at both club and national levels in all sorts of clubs and organisations.

I would like to see things stay as they are since asking people to pay a small club fee is not a lot to ask for what they get in return. As affiliates, this suggests a lower fee and fees are so low now it is ridiculous.

Now, if I could just get all these members to write an article for the magazine my job would be a LOT easier! :lol:

If you are Hamilton based you should consider joining the local club. I've met most of the people and they are a great bunch. They have a very strong group of breeders who are willing to share their knowledge.

Go for it.

I'll add discussing the idea of affiliate members to the agenda of our next committee meeting in February.

At this time I tend to think it's best to belong to a local club though. If we start to have affiliate members we take something away from the local clubs. Anyway, we'll discuss it and let you know...

Caryl said...

> As affiliates, this suggests a lower fee and fees are so low

> now it is ridiculous.

I wouldn't suggest making any affiliate membership fee significantly

lower than a typical club membership. Maybe capitation + $10 or

something of that nature. We don't want to discourage people

from joining their local club, rather offer an option for those who

are unlikely to join otherwise.

Andrew, appreciating the rational responses.

As I am in Timaru and the local club is not affiliated to FNZAS, I am going to join Caryls club (checks still in the mail Caryl), $15 is not much for the relative benefits of newsletters, contacts and subscription to Aquarium World.

As such I do not see an affiliate membership as necessary, when other generous clubs are availible for people like me, and I guess we help support these clubs too.

Lastly, the reason I did not join an unaffiliated local club is purely because of this site and the contacts made here.

Mark

Depends on which club you join. Our club membership is $20 per family, $15 senior and $10 for a junior member. For that you get a monthly club newsletter (colour) 4 Aquarium World magazines, a Year Book (listing all affiliated members plus lots more) and affiliation to the FNZAS which gives you a discount card which may be used at selected retailers.

Haven't given the idea of another molly hunt any thought. As for them selling the swamp that the mollys live in well thats news to me . I am sure that i can easily find out .

I strongly belive that if there are fishkeepers in an area that has a local club nearby that that is the club they should be jioning .

Yes it is good to get the aquarium world and the year book to get in tounch with other hobbyist but going along to club meetings and gaining the benefits of your local club is alot better . Without rambling but things like tank crawls , club trips , guest speaker and meeting others personallly sharing ideas and knowledge of there different experinces of fishkeeping has got to be good .

If there isn't a local club in your area by all means join your nearest club or maybe even think about forming a local club . If this was the case there are plenty of people who will be willing to help you on the way . Just ask ???