Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Illegal fish

Featured Replies

There used to be F_T,but that was too hard for MAF to understand.

Now they only have a "Permited List"

Check with Rob, our esteemed "Breeding Co=ordinator"

Alan

  • Author

so all the botia species are permitted...cool...adn all the spiny eels

thanks for that link....now to get redwood to get some fish I want....

  • Author

redwood have their own QT facilities...If they aren't in NZ allready

spot being a pessimist......and you should ask them if they can get bandit corys......Don't forget the sci. name

An important point to remember here is the permitted list only applies to what is allowed to be imported into NZ. It does not state which fish that are already here are allowed to be kept. It means that fish that are not on the list may still be allowed to be kept in NZ, bred and sold in the shops.

The current list has major shortcomings when it comes to what is not allowed to be kept. There is no list of illegal fish I know of for tropical fish. The current pest fish list only deals with fish that can live in our waterways.

The only information about this I know of is here:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/Bio ... r-Fish.asp

and

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/002 ... Freshwater)/index.asp

C. metae (Bandit cory) are cheap compared to C. adolfoi at the moment. Only Adolfoi's I've seen for sale have been about $45 each.

Chris said...

> I'm going to breed cory's soon.. still deciding which ones to do.

Ah, you've got to love optimism. :) :)

I'd start with one of the easier ones, such as C. paleatus or

C. aeneus. Once you can do those reliably, try one of the

commoner bred rarer species before you tackle any of the

really tricky ones. Some fish are expensive for a reason...

Andrew.

Bandit cory's were selling for about $23. Wish I was down in Christchurch - that Redwood place sounds great (especially since it's a retailer that imports), then I'd have at least a vague chance of getting some of the fish on my wishlist.

I'm not aware of anyone currently breeding Bandits - but then not everyone is a member of FNZAS and also not evey FNZAS member registers their breedings.

Chris - I guess the next step up as far as cory's are concerned would be one of the types that retails in the mid 10-20 dollar range. Perhaps C. trilineatus (they always gets sold as julii though), sterbai, panda. The other possible direction to go is one of the dwarf species like hastatus or pygmaeus - the raising of the fry of these is a little more difficult because of their small size.

Chris said...

> I have bred the C. aeneus (Bronze Cory).

Ah. Cool.

Can you do it on demand though, or did the fish spawn in the

community tank and you raised the fry? How many did you end

up with?

> I was thinking the next step up from those.

I'd go with Robs suggestion.

I'm hoping to have a go at my pygmy Corys at some stage.

Andrew.

Can you do it on demand though, or did the fish spawn in the

community tank and you raised the fry? How many did you end

up with?

Lol well they bred in the community tank, but I helped (if you put it that way). Did quite a big w/c with water around 2 degree's colder. They have bred quite a few times after me doing this, but in a community tank normally the eggs get eaten.

Sold the fry to the petshop for quite good money, and they want me to try out some different ones. These would not be going in the community tank though, rather in a tank on their own.

Does anyone have a good site about breeding the sterbai cory's? Would like to try these.

Chris-

i would like to try my hand @ my breeding corys....that was wat i was gonna do next, but then i discovered i could get killies lol

so that will be my next project.....after my 70g and killie tanks r complete :lol:

There is an article here on breeding sterbai.

When I bred them I just chucked them in a tank by themselves, started conditioning them on tasty foods and the damn things spawned before I even got a chance to do the cold water change trick. I know my fish were definitely not wild caught - got them from a breeder in Upper Hutt.

As for rearing pygmy cory's - the main thing is have a suitable first food. I had the greatest success when they were in a tank with a couple of brown mystery/apple snail - the snails had created a layer of mulm on the bottom of the tank full of infusoria (apple snails are also called infusorial snails - because the encourage the growth of infusoria).

Chris - yeah I'd get a couple, the brown ones are reasonably plant save (unless there's nothing else for them to eat) but the golden ones will clear fell any plants you have.

There are some claims that while the snails will leave fry alone the will eat eggs - there's possibly some truth but I ahd the snails in the tank right from the start and still got about 50 new pygmy cories. Snails are useful in pretty well any fry tank - cleaning up uneaten food and any casualties - only thing to be careful of is a snail that dies - the amount of rotting flesh can quickly foul small fry tanks.

My suggestion when choosing you snails is not to go for the biggest ones in the tank - stick to the small-medium sized ones that appear to have nice intact shells (the larger ones are likely older and closer to the end of their life span).

With apple snails you can easily control an potential population explosion as they lay quite a large egg sack up out of the water (usually on the cover glass) - if you don't want more snails then scrape of the egg sack before it hatches. Also don't assume that just because you've got 2 apple snails that they will reproduce - unlike some snails they are not hemaphrodites but rather male or female.

What about all those great small Plecos you guys can get ???

some magic fish among the 700 odd species you guys can get legally.

Makes me drool, thinking seriously of migrating.

Alan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.