New Tank with Siamese Fighter

Janelle

Hi everyone,

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend overseas who just bought a new tank (about 10 litres) and popped a new male siamese fighter in there pretty much straight away. She has no filter, and yesterday she accidentally overfed (she was tipping the bottle and a whole lot of food fell into the tank). Now the tank is murky, although she's only had it three days, and she was telling me she was going to wait a couple of days and then do a full water change. I firmly told her NO but I would like to know what others think I should be telling her?

She likes siamese fighters because they usually survive her mistakes.

What advice can I give her, if she won't get a filter, regarding water changes? I've always had filters for my fish and never owned a siamese fighter myself although I'm looking into it, so I really don't know the safe margins.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Well... I did try to help her out with some of the advice, but for now I don't think it will make a difference. She "rescued" the fish from a jar in a pet store and gave it a good tank, but now she tells me that's enough for now and she will research about them later when she's less stressed about job/studies.

Anyway, my boyfriend wants a siamese fighter so it's good for me to learn more about them anyway. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I've got a Siamese Fighter and did a lot of reading before I bought him.

Although siamese fighters can "Survive" in small jars etc it's not really the best life for them. They are peaceful fish and like space to swim and the company of others, just not other males though.

The hard part is finding tank mates for them, different people will say different things e.g certain fish are not compatible etc but it really does depend on the fish and the personality of the tank mates.

I have mine in a tank with Pearl and dwarf gouramis and was a bit worried my fighter might get picked on. Fortunately I found that the Gouramis don't bother the fighter :bounce: and spend their time chasing each other round the tank instead :wink:

I have one male and four female siamese fighters in a four foot tank with two angels, two golden gouramis, two blue gouramis, 4 butterfly rams, 8 serpae tetras, one bristlenose and two ottos.

And I don't have any probs. I think cos of the tank size and that I have lots of plants for fish to hide each species seems to stick to its own. Every now and then someone will get chased a bit or nipped a little, but I think this would be normal in any tank, mostly they live in harmony.

Everyone has different experiences though, I've heard various things about serpae tetras getting nasty and angels being dominant, but it would depend on the circumstances I think.

all the best with your fighter if you get one, they are a beautiful fish and I have found most of them will come out to see you. I used to have one that I used to stroke on the back once, very friendly. :)