Killer Killies

Aaron-Betta

I always thought that killies were pieceful fish. :(

I have a pair of Gardneri Nigeriatum with my 4 pinnocio whiptails. There were no problems until yesterday I found one of the whiptails upside down with a large chunk of of its back and was obviously dead. The whiptails are only 6-7cm long but I thought they would have been ok.

:(

Could your whiptail possibly have gotten stuck somewhere or hit the filter intake perhaps when chasing something. The killies I've seen (not many) look very tiny and peaceful fish. Maybe it died of something else and then the other fish have had a nibble?

The Killies are around 3-4cm. They are violent towards each other at times (only have a male and a female) and have witnessed the male chasing the female at such speeds that she has jumped at least 2 foot up and out of the tank. She was returned moments later as a fish with a fluffy coat.

I am thinking about swapping those killies out and put my lonely golden australe male in with the whiptails.

You did notice that the male was chasing the female, and hard, this is the reason we use more than the one female to the tank.

The male then shares his amorous intentions amongst them all, and doesn't have to go after an unwilling partner.

You say you saw it clear 2' up and out of the tank?

What didn't the tank have lid protection, time and time again, I mention killie in one breathe, the next breathe is MAKE sure of a killie-proof lid, they'll fit thru gaps, watch out especially where you have HOB filters or pipes coming back into the tank.

These gaps can be blocked with filter wool or similar.

I know sometimes accidents will happen, like jumping at feed time while the lid is up or off, but be aware of the fact that it is a natural thing for them to do, and just have a quick look at the numbers once the lid is in place again.

• 3 months later...

since putting 6 killies into my community tank i have had 4 guppies swimming around with chunks taken out of there tails :D

i even witnessed a killi try to take on a bristlenose catfish that was 4-5 times its size. the killi latched onto the catfishes tail. didnt do any damage but it looked funny. maybe i should feed them :roll: