Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Borneo Sucker

Featured Replies

Hi I was wondering if anyone has got one of these, or if someone can help me. I am a bit worried that the one I have got is getting enough to eat, does anyone know what other foods these guys like. At the moment he just goes around sucking on the glass but I dont have very much algae growth in my tank.

thankyou for your input, any advice appreciated

I'm not sure about borneo suckers, but try putting a leaf of spinach or lettuce in the tank. I know plecos, bristlenoses etc like it so a borneo sucker might too.

I've got one who seems to be fine just eating algae off the sides of my aquarium and the occasional bit of my plants. As long as you keep live plants they shouldn't starve.

I've got a couple of these guys - I find mine go crazy over frozen blood worms and also white worms. The problem is that they don't really like coming off the glass onto the gravel (I suspect that it's unnatural for them, their habitat is fast flowing streams so they normally stay stuck fairly firmly to rocks) - but if the worms fall on the gravel close to the glass they will venture onto the gravel.

  • 4 weeks later...

We have some at home, the first lot we had died because the petshop told us that they ate algae tabs, and the seccond (current) lot are thriving on blood worms.

the one I used to have loved it when I put the frozen daphnia in the tank too....... :( I sadly lost mine cos the tank was too warm.......they seem to do better with lower temps and fast flowing water but I didn't find that out in time

they are cool little fish

sue

What I have read (in some natural history book) is that these fish actually feed on the "aufwuchs" (little micro-organisms, plankton, insect larvae) that hide in streambed algae growth, so they probably need more protein-rich food than most people suppose.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.