HOw do you get smell of fish tank water out of carpet?

Milet

yeah shampoo the carpet,

hire a rug doctor from your local supermarket shoud do it!

if not jaes services do wonderfull cleaning jobs on carpet, if they cant get the smell out, ring your insurance co and get them to replace the carpet (lets hope it doesnt come to that!)

You may find, unless you have a "premier" insurance policy that they will not pay for the damage. We found this out after a 250L broke and flooded the lounge, dining and kitchen areas. They only covered damage done from normal house water supplies like pipes bursting or tap problems. They did pay for the tank itself though

You may find, unless you have a "premier" insurance policy that they will not pay for the damage. We found this out after a 250L broke and flooded the lounge, dining and kitchen areas. They only covered damage done from normal house water supplies like pipes bursting or tap problems. They did pay for the tank itself though

geeze hate to think which insurance co your with!!

I suggest you check your policy no matter which company you are with. Many do not cover damage from a tank breakage unless it was an accident ie kid hit it with a hammer. If it breaks through no reason you can prove (in our case we suspect a stress fracture after a small quake) the damage will not be covered.

If you're using any shake & vac or other product near your tank, take extra care! Personally I don't use anything like that in the same room as my tank... but then I might just be paranoid... :wink:

As other people have suggested, the baking soda works really well. Also drying your carpet quickly and thoroughly is important. Put towels down and trample all over them to get most of the water out, then air the room and use heaters if necessary. Of course, move all furniture off the wet bit so the legs don't leave marks and the furniture doesn't get damaged.

If I'm cleaning a carpet I use a solution of 1 teaspoon of vinegar and one teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to a litre of warm water. Sponge it on and then do the towel trick to dry it off.

Good luck with the carpet!

Cool - I didn't know about the vinegar thing to get rid of the smell. I only ever use vinegar if the cat or one of the kids has an accident. It nuetralises the ammonia and works wonders. I'll try to remember that (not that I'll ever have another accident with the fish tank :lol: )