March 24, 200719 yr comment_153419 hi all, just got my new tank but havent got enough filter media(bio ring/noodles) what free or cheap materials do people out there use?(just spent all my money on the tank :-? ) I was thinking of possibly using broken up brick or pieces of teracotta flower pot-would there be any problems with this after giving it a good clean(boiling) cheers Report
March 24, 200719 yr comment_153429 All sorts of stuff can be used but they aren't as good as the noodles. I have heard of people using plastic hair curlers and cut up straws. Bricks and terracotta are used as caves in tanks, just give them a scrub first. Report
March 24, 200719 yr comment_153431 If you have any dead heaters you could use the heater cores. You could also use scoria. Report
March 24, 200719 yr comment_153432 I would think terracotta would be a good thing to use very similair to ceramic noodles.. And as its already been pointed out people use terrocotta caves and stuff ive got a few in my tanks... I have also used pummice in my filters which I think works well although I cant see the bacteria so I cant claim too much Report
March 30, 200719 yr comment_154264 I've seen filters that have a handful of gravel as media so I think any brick etc would work fine. Report
March 31, 200719 yr comment_154342 what ever you use it is better to have alot of surface area. i think scoria would be a good option. Report
March 31, 200719 yr Author comment_154354 in the end i bought 1kilo of bio ring - figured this was the best course rather than use somthing i'm not sure about. thanks for the help though -much apreciated Report
April 1, 200719 yr comment_154579 cheapest filter media I have seen is the AquaOne brand. Seems to work ok for me Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.