Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

filter media

Featured Replies

hi all,

just got my new tank but havent got enough filter media(bio ring/noodles)

what free or cheap materials do people out there use?(just spent all my money on the tank :-? )

I was thinking of possibly using broken up brick or pieces of teracotta flower pot-would there be any problems with this after giving it a good clean(boiling)

cheers

All sorts of stuff can be used but they aren't as good as the noodles. I have heard of people using plastic hair curlers and cut up straws. Bricks and terracotta are used as caves in tanks, just give them a scrub first.

I would think terracotta would be a good thing to use very similair to ceramic noodles.. And as its already been pointed out people use terrocotta caves and stuff ive got a few in my tanks...

I have also used pummice in my filters which I think works well although I cant see the bacteria so I cant claim too much :)

  • Author

in the end i bought 1kilo of bio ring - figured this was the best course rather than use somthing i'm not sure about.

thanks for the help though -much apreciated

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.